Protect Your Garage & Tools

misterp

This last weekend did not go according to "plan". I invited Bob (8 UR HMI) up for the weekend to pull/rebuild/install his 4L60 and when he arrived we both opened my garage door and discovered my floor jack, wrenches, sockets/ratchets, and a few other tools were stolen. :mad: I called the cops, every garage unit in my apartment complex had been (easily) broken into. Even worse was the fact that Bob and I needed to get that transmission out that night, and couldn't so it completely threw our weekend off and we both lost a day off work/school because I had to first buy replacement tools.

All the way around it sucked. The tools stolen were not 'premuim brand' by any means, they had been collected since high school and many I had more than 20-years. I told my fiance it is amazing to think back on how many vehicle projects those tools had built in those 20+ years, and now they are gone.

The good news is that nothing else was stolen from the garage, including very expensive LS & truck parts. I also had lots of efan parts stock, some Rubbermade tubs full of good 'ol hand and power tools and the theives completely overlooked them. Still I am now remembering what I used to have and writing it down on a list (to give to the police) and I'm already going to have to pay about $750 to replace what I can remember.

I was goddamned frustrating working on Bob's truck realizing that I didn't have "that perfect socket" or "that perfect wrench" anymore because it was stolen and having to take another 15-mins to undo some fastners with barely adequate tools. Stuff like that really takes the joy out of wrenching. :(

Anyways - I know you guys have lots of tools & garage gear, and wanted to share lessons learned:

Engrave your tools.

Photograph all your tools.

Keep receipts for all your tools.

Provide an itemized list of all your tools to your insurance agent, so they can be replaced later.

Make SURE your rent/home-owners insurance covers your tools.

Buy a Medeco brand deadbolt and install it correctly.

If you can afford it, buy tool storage cabinets/roll-aways that LOCK, and lock them too.

Mr. P.

Ahh man, I'm sorry to hear this! I was lucky enough to catch a bandito last Sat. 8:30am breaking into the storage lockers at my apt. complex. Let's just say he won't be back after I got done with him. All my tools and equipment are stored in a separate locked room attached to my actual garage since I share a row of garages with others and are left open time to time. I hope it all works out for you, again hearing this makes me feel sick, I know what you feel...

i hear ya steve usually i keepo all my tools on my service truck which are documented and photographed and insured by my employer. i cant imagine not haveing any of them . the custom tools i have made to get certain jobs done easier arent replaceable. not to mention not having a set of ratchet wrenches , imo one of the greatest hand tools ever imo. hopefully everything gets taken care of . sucks it has to come out your pocket now but will it eventually be covered by insurance?

that sucks. I know how bad it can be w/o the right tools. Living in Detroit, I have been cleaned out a few times, the last time it ended up with me going thru a house while the police held the guy and I grabbed my stuff and he got charged for a gun they found...it was so bad they took my wood stove :(

but if you dropped a awd trans after losing your tools, you sir are the MAN!

edit: HA I am in the garage now and am looking at my jack, W4...its the fourth jack I have had since W1 that was a craftsman alum one, w2 another alum, W3 got a cheaper steel one, W4 is steel SUV craftsman. LOL lost track of all the donations I have made to the hood :)

Edited by detjoe (see edit history)

i hear ya steve usually i keepo all my tools on my service truck which are documented and photographed and insured by my employer. i cant imagine not haveing any of them . the custom tools i have made to get certain jobs done easier arent replaceable. not to mention not having a set of ratchet wrenches , imo one of the greatest hand tools ever imo. hopefully everything gets taken care of . sucks it has to come out your pocket now but will it eventually be covered by insurance?

Yeah loosing the set of Gearwrenches hurt; my fiance also gave me a very expensive electronic scope for this last Christmas and it's gone as well. :sigh:

Insurance - only the stuff in our apartment is covered, I never got around to declaring my garage stuff. So it's all on me. My fiance and I have discussed (in the last several months) combining insurance because between the truck, the Begal (DD), her Mustang, and the existing renter's insurance we spend almost $400/mo in insurance, and we are definitely not getting our money's worth. That will change, now that we have more than a busted old TV, used couch, and collection of "garage junk" to our names.

I think I'm also going to watch CL for some lockable storage cabinets too.

Mr. P.

...it was so bad they took my wood stove...

Wow lol sorry to laugh but you gotta admit that's hard-up!

...but if you dropped a awd trans after losing your tools, you sir are the MAN!...

Had no choice - it was either that or host Bob for longer than the weekend and risk him moving in! :jester: Bob's great, but you gotta respect him - he's kinda like a force of nature, freaky unexpected things just start to randomly happen when he's kept in one spot for too long! :laugh: All seriousness, I gotta work and he's gotta squeak-by college so there was no choice but to get the job done ASAP and loosing that one day was a real killer.

...my jack, W4...its the fourth jack I have had ...

I said the same damned thing - what is up with people stealing floor jacks??? You would think they were pawn shop GOLD. I told my fiance I was so damned frustrated at buying a new jack that so help me when we got our own place by god I was going to install a lift just so it couldn't be stolen! :takealook:

Mr. P.