Diesel Ss?

TYLERTXSS

As some of you know I am working for a PSC in Iraq and I just got an offer to transfer to Afghanistan and double my salary and the wifey (stupidly in my opinion :coold: ) agreed to let me do whatever I wanted to the SS now. What do you guys think of a diesel swap? I think it would be the first done and I want to do a professional build, something magazine worthy. What do yall think? Would it be possible? What might the drawbacks be?

It can definitely be done to the SS. A few years back I tossed around the idea and had a motor and trans on hand to do the swap. I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I would have rather gotten a rcsb silvy and dropped a dmax in there and made it look like a SS than hack that far into my real one.

You'll obviously need to fab up motor mounts, swap out the harness, new driveshafts, pedals, and a lot of other stuff too. Luckily for you, you have a 2wd SS so it won't be as bad to mock up. I say go for it though man. :thumbs:

I thought I read somewhere a while back that the 1/2 ton frame couldn't support the weight and power from a diesel swap? Still a cool idea but you'd have to beef up the frame and the front end quite a bit I would think.

I thought I read somewhere a while back that the 1/2 ton frame couldn't support the weight and power from a diesel swap? Still a cool idea but you'd have to beef up the frame and the front end quite a bit I would think.

:withstupid: , the frame needs to be addresed first, you are better off getting a 2500hd and making an SSS clone

I say do it. I love my SS but it's not extremely rare. There is a local Reg Cab 1/2 ton GMT800 that did the swap. He races it often and dials in at a repeatable 12.XX..... or maybe it's 11.XX, can't remember now. It's been much faster. He said it was not the easiest or cheapest project, but it came out sick and is a deffinate head turner with the hood popped.

Edited by BigCountry (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

not unless your makin a shit ton of money and have nothing else to do with it.a nice used d max and allison with decent miladge your payin around 10000 plus you need to change all your harnesses all new fuel system, as well as a couple coolers, all new suspension in the front to handle the weight as well as crossmembers beffin up the frame and you would have to go to 2wd with a new rear end to handle it. so you could probably buy another nice ss for the same money it would cost you to put a dmax in.

it would be cool ya but highly unpractical

Edited by nh chevy tech (see edit history)