9 members have voted

1. 1. Which one?

• Built 60e
    • 80e with shift kit and servos

Throwing around the idea of going with a TVS. I want be able to tow when needed and still be performance oriented if possible. As stated above just wanted ya'lls input and what ya'll thought. Please tell why you would choose your choice.

Thanks,

Eric

Edited by 03_SS_22 (see edit history)

Well after going through 2 built 60s within 2 years id do the 80 swap. i just did my 80 swap yesterday. really it's pretty dang easy. i would do it again with no problem. IMO it was just the same as putting a 4l60 in it. only had to fab the transmission support and that was cake. i haven't got to drive it im just waiting for the PCM and driveshafts.

also if you do the swap get the input shaft from Time2kill off here. it was super easy to put in the t case. i have never taken apart a t case. well i took mine apart and put the in put shaft in it and it was super easy. there is nothing to a t-case very simple. only had to remove all the bolts and 2 snap rings and thats it.

Edited by shawnss (see edit history)

80e is the safe option

I second this! Ask anyone on here that are putting down any kind of good hp and see how many 60's they have been through. There is no doubt that if you get the right guy(and I say this like there is maybe one or two of them), they can make the 60 hold together. I personally have been through 2 in the last summer and the next time I lose one, it will be getting a 80e as a replacement. I think you save money going with the 80e in the first place.

Not to hijack your thread, but what kind of hit have you guys seen on mpg's or any negative's to switching to the 80e. doesn't it have a worse overdrive gear than the 60e? how much more power does the 80e take up?

the ONLY 60/65E builder worth it is jerry (Retired99's dad). his trannys are incredible. now if ur gonna get the money id do the 80 swap. depends how much power u actually want to push and what future mods u will have.

btw 80e dont use servos.

for the money you can do an 80e swap for now its not too bad and is better for longevity . a 60e can last built but will be just as expensive. the 60's first gear is steeper and will make most notice right away , oh the 80e robs too much power. Imo it may take a bit more but its neglible. with the drivetrain loss in an awd ss a couple % more isnt a deal breaker for the sake of reliability.

wish i would have done it a long time ago instead of wasting my money on built 60's . do it once and be done with it.

the ONLY 60/65E builder worth it is jerry (Retired99's dad). his trannys are incredible. now if ur gonna get the money id do the 80 swap. depends how much power u actually want to push and what future mods u will have.

im sure he is a decent builder because he built your trans :rolleyes: but it doesent mean there isnt someone out there who builds a better trans or something that can handle just as much.

Edited by 04CHASE (see edit history)

LOLL yea man lets not forget FLT and performabuilt both ****in suck who buys built trannys from any of them? rollin.gifcrackup.gif

for peace of mind in a DD id pick the 80e but a well built 65 is good also

I will be goin with the 80 when I get the turbo on, but i'm having a hard time figuring out if I want to try and break my built trans.

Transgo told me that it should hold 650lbft at the crank. The guy who built it is one of their R&D techs and he told me to give it hell, and I have. I bring it in every 6 months for him to check eveything, and he hasn't seen any physical wear.

Might just sell it and use the $ for something else.

Ugh Bob my Dad can build a good unit, but there a good handful of others out there that can do the same. The only difference is price. Remember you a starting with a transmission that GM engineers never designed to be used as a racing or extreme abuse transmission. Corners are cut and costs are saved by GM to build the 4L60/65. The 80E is much better designed to put in these trucks. Personally I'm a TH400 fan, but they aren't pratical for todays hotrod/DD. The main reason I don't like these trucks is the piss poor drivetrain design (except the engine). I will never own another full size GM truck for the purpose of hotrodding/racing.