Tailgate Issues

SilverBulletSS

Hey guys need some help. A few months back I helped my cousin move some baby furniture with my truck, we loaded the bed and everything was fine, had clearance to close the tailgate, well his brother in law found a tiny open space in the right corner for a box with i guess a baby bouncer or something. He thought it would fit and was like it's just an inch to big, well he opened the gate slid the box in and tried closing the gate. It wouldn't close so him and his friend forcefully closed my gate, all the while i'm trying to organize stuff in the backseat. (I only found out after unloading when they admitted to forcing it closed)

After we unloaded i closed the gate and found the drivers side sits flush with the tail light and the top is flush, the passengers side has about a 1/4 inch gap, sitting away from the tail light and u can see inside where the lock pin is, it doesn't sit flush at the top either, as if it doesn't close all the way, but latches just fine.

Is my tailgate bent or can I adjust it to move the right side in closer to close the gap.

I know this is probably confusing, I'll take a few pics tomorrow, but if anyone has an idea what im talking about please help me out...

Look at your tailgate hidges. They may have slipped from the original spot location. If they did you should be able to tell because it will have a clean spot showing where the were located from the factory. Just take your tailgate off and look at it.

I did at first notice where the slider bolt had moved, i did initially loosen it up and move it back to where it was but the gap stayed the same, maybe i should push it farther back? Or should I loosen both sides and try and tweak it that way? I'm, just worried that I will move it all the way back and find no difference...

I did at first notice where the slider bolt had moved, i did initially loosen it up and move it back to where it was but the gap stayed the same, maybe i should push it farther back? Or should I loosen both sides and try and tweak it that way? I'm, just worried that I will move it all the way back and find no difference...

Move it all the way back and then go from there to see if closes your gap. Good luck!