Increace Performance

mike280zx

Hey guys my ss is all stock and am no gear head, and i was just looking for some advice on what do to the truck to get started performance wize, like intake.......ext. Please post links and stuff like that and any suggestions and what not. Im just dont know where to start rlly haha thanks.

welcome to the site and the SS family!!cheers.giffirst off and im sure i wont be the only to say this but use the search box. you will be able to find out pretty much any info you are looking for and answer just about any questions you have. im pretty sure just about everything has been tried at least once in some shape or form and it will be on here somewhere lol. u definitely want to start with a cai, (volant, k&n, ect.) headers(pacesetters, dynatechs arh)<------all depending on how much green you want to put out there lol and a tune. dont bother with wasting money on a programmer either. everyone has their preference but i personally went with Wheatly, he is the man. thats just a start. i warn you, once u start its very hard to stop. so keep a tight leash on the wallet. happy modding. and lets see some pics of that beauty.

Welcome ~ I drove mine stock with only a cold air for over two years. Even in such stock form it's a great truck that I'm sure will bring you lots of enjoyment.

I would say just do CAI, exhaust and get a custom tune asap, drive it for a while, add headers and retune. Before the headers address the brakes and suspension if needed.

Have fun !

I have an 03 SS with a K&N CAI that would stalk gt mustangs no problem. and im following everyone elses footsteps , i just got my pacesetter long tubes and will be tuning the truck within a couple weeks. i would listen to alot of guys on here, always have great advice and support when it comes to questions.

but yeah easy and not so pricey things would be intake, exhaust/headers, tune.. STOUT trucks and respond well with little mods

if you want to stay on a budget get an intake and a tune from wheatley or blackbear. youl feel a nice difference. as for the trans as long as you dont beat the piss out of your truck and keep it stock with basic bolt ons it should hold up just fine

hahaha thanks for the warm welcome! ill put some pics up when i figure out how too lol it wont let me like look at my profile idk haha

welcome to the site and the SS family!!cheers.giffirst off and im sure i wont be the only to say this but use the search box. you will be able to find out pretty much any info you are looking for and answer just about any questions you have. im pretty sure just about everything has been tried at least once in some shape or form and it will be on here somewhere lol. u definitely want to start with a cai, (volant, k&n, ect.) headers(pacesetters, dynatechs arh)<------all depending on how much green you want to put out there lol and a tune. dont bother with wasting money on a programmer either. everyone has their preference but i personally went with Wheatly, he is the man. thats just a start. i warn you, once u start its very hard to stop. so keep a tight leash on the wallet. happy modding. and lets see some pics of that beauty.

would one get the ram air scoop too??? or is that pretty much for mpg?

Just added:

Volant Cold air Intake w/ powercore box.

Corsa Sport Exhaust Part#14279

Hoping that will pull some performance, i'll be getting in contact with Wheatley when I get back from afghanistan for a tune.

Mostly for looks.At your stage of the game you can get your best bang for the buck with a tune,exhaust and CAI.After each major mod you can get a retune or do everything at once and then a final tune.If you get a mail order tune from one of the tuners on this forum,you can keep your original computer for a small core charge.That way if you need a retune you can send the original in and your truck won't be down while you wait for the mail/UPS truck.Plugs,wires and a change of all fluids is a good idea including changing the orange Dexcool anti freeze.After 5 years it gets acidic and will eat your gaskets.Have fun.

would one get the ram air scoop too??? or is that pretty much for mpg?

Edited by Warden (see edit history)

maybe i'm off my rocker, but i see a lot of guys buying a corsa exhaust that takes off the stock SS dual pipes and they put on a single pipe. Its around 800 for the corsa and you can add a new muffler to your stock pipes for less then 200 and have an exhaust that flows better and will support more hp. Use the extra money for your CAI or headers.

Headers are a great mod, i prefer the OBX for their price, material and bolt on fit. However every header offers its own benifits.

If you get the CAI, yes get the ram air tube. I didn't see any results at the track untill i put the ram air tube on. And on the street, while i'm moving, my IATs equal the air temp. At a stop sign i can still see them raise, but with out it......your IATs are way higher. Do not get the power core filter.....i have not looked into the flow rates, but you couldn't tell me it flows better then the regular volant filter...and looks better..and is easier to install.

Interesting.What results did you see at the track after installing the ram air tube?

Thanks

maybe i'm off my rocker, but i see a lot of guys buying a corsa exhaust that takes off the stock SS dual pipes and they put on a single pipe. Its around 800 for the corsa and you can add a new muffler to your stock pipes for less then 200 and have an exhaust that flows better and will support more hp. Use the extra money for your CAI or headers.

Headers are a great mod, i prefer the OBX for their price, material and bolt on fit. However every header offers its own benifits.

If you get the CAI, yes get the ram air tube. I didn't see any results at the track untill i put the ram air tube on. And on the street, while i'm moving, my IATs equal the air temp. At a stop sign i can still see them raise, but with out it......your IATs are way higher. Do not get the power core filter.....i have not looked into the flow rates, but you couldn't tell me it flows better then the regular volant filter...and looks better..and is easier to install.