A/C Compressor Replacement

dcairns

Anybody had to replace their A/C Compressor due to "slogging" which causes squealing and chattering/rattling sounds ?

I got a quote of $1,000 from the local Chevy Stealship. :crazy: Seems like a lot of money for what is really a poorly designed part.

Also, what part number did you use for the replacement compressor? seems to be several out there, GM Parts Direct sells a couple of Delco/Delphi types for about $350, dealer charges $500 :noway:

Sure it's not just a clutch.Usaully when the compressor goes it grenades itself.

I wouldn't take it to the stealership. I'd go to a a/c shop.

I used to work at one. We were cheaper then the dealer and far more knowledgeable.

They dealers around here don't have a clue about ac, in fact they used to bring vehicles to us because they don't make lines and stuff like that.

A bad clutch they can't replace, only the whole compressor. So you pay $1000+ instead of a $100 ac clutch fix. Ridiculous.

The compressor on my Tahoe froze up on a 90* day last summer while I was in a funeral procession. :freak: I got an AC Delco compressor(believe it or not, the factory compressors are made by Denso) from GM Parts Direct for something like $330 plus a new GM belt for $12, and installed it with the help of a friend who works at a Toyota dealership ( :uhoh:). I got the recharge for free, all I had to do was pay him for an hours worth of labor($100). :devil:

Word to the wise if you tackle it yourself, the compressor comes out quite easily if you remove the passenger side fender liner, and the passeneger side motor mount bolts.....

just catch it before it completely quits , when that happens it will send tone of debris through the lines and will require replacing more than the compressor(condensor ,accumulator,etc) i went to a few a/c class's recently for work and have done a few repairs as well. best to find a good replacement , we use napa parts at work and the ones i have done have been strong and better than ever. just clean the lines and clean the lines again . debris will ruin a new compressor in no time. not a bad idea to do the dryer and oriface when doing the compressor.

If there's any damage in the compressor it's already sent debris into the system. It needs to be flushed and the accumulator and orifice tube replaced if installing a new compressor otherwise you'll just kill a new one.

A inline filter with a new compressor install is cheap insurance too.

If there's any damage in the compressor it's already sent debris into the system. It needs to be flushed and the accumulator and orifice tube replaced if installing a new compressor otherwise you'll just kill a new one.A inline filter with a new compressor install is cheap insurance too.

The TSB seems to cover all those bases. The only plus I see for using the dealer is they offer lifetime parts and labor warranty. Considering I am a long term owner, not likely to change my truck for quite a while, and I almost always use the A/C / heater rather than have the windows down, that may work out to be a good deal. I would guess the new compressor would problably fail the same way in another 7-8 years.

#03-01-38-019A - (Sep 3,

The only plus I see for using the dealer is they offer lifetime parts and labor warranty.

#03-01-38-019A - (Sep 3,

Really? Wow I can't see that happening, but if you can get it then good for you.

The only offer I get from the dealer is a guarantee to screw me everytime I walk in the door.

I would still get a second opinion, an a/c inspection is cheap. IMO

Actually, I started by asking the A/C shop that did the work on my 64 Impala. He recognized the symthoms and mentioned the TSB and to try the dealer. I will probably go back and see what he would do it for, or perhaps have him to the evac/recharge and other stuff, and do the grunt work of changing the compressor myself.

Good luck.

An a/c shop might not like you doing your own work, they don't make money on the recharge, they make money on repairing systems.

The actual compressor install is nothing, like 5 min. It's the flush and changing out the accum and orifice tube that takes the time, like 5 or 6 hours in the book for the whole job if I remember right.(my tech would do it in about an hour and a half)

If you brought you truck to me, the only way I would do the recharge is with no warranty, cuz I don't know if you flushed the system properly.

I've done countless jobs where guys bring m their cars and I'll recharge it with no warranty, and they're back a week later cuz their compressor is screwed.

I would just give them a sob story, as long as you flushed it real good and changed out those parts, it should be alright. You might even get a warranty if they pressure test it.

And don't go there on a hot ass day. They'll be busy and not as willing to help out.

My a/c guy could do 40 hours labor on a good day with a few good repairs that day. Stupid busy.

Edited by paulguy (see edit history)