A Few Issues With My New Sss

Raven698

Hey guys. I bought a well used 2003 Sss. It has its list of things wrong with it at 99,000 miles. Most of which I was able to identify within the first few miles of the test drive. After test driving the truck and identifying all these things, I told them that the were a couple things going on that I would like replaced, and a couple more that I would like an accurate idea of what the problems were before I bought it. Everyone agreed and they put new brakes on the truck as well as a new power steering pump. I picked the truck up before they could check the other small things I wanted checked. We came to the decision that I would take the truck and schedual a time for a diagnostic. The truck is going in next week for that diagnostic.

What I am looking for is a little insight to what the problems are so I have an idea of what they can look for when I get it there.

- When in gear, if i push the gas maybe 20% or less I get a vibrating metalic sound from the rear of the truck. It sounds as if there is a loose exhaust shield vibrating. Something that is thin metal. I dont think it is a big problem but I havent had time to slide up under there. Is there a common problem with these trucks in this aspect?

- While driving the door chime would randomly chime 2-3 times and the BRAKE light would come on and go back off. One time, as I was stopping, the ABS light came on and the ABS pulsed at my foot. Keep in mind this was on completely dry pavement at 5-6 mph. What could this be?

- The power steering pump, which they replaced before I picked the truck up, is louder then a supercharger on a cobra mustang. Im assuming that these trucks dont have inherently loud PS pumps. Is this one bad?

- When the windshield wipers are turned on, they go up with no problem but pause for a split second on the way down. Is there a tooth missing in the motor?

Those are the problems. Any help is appricieated. Here are some pictures!

truckbig2.jpg

truckbig.jpg

that thing looks good for 99000 ........ill give my .2 cents on the power steering pump, more than likely its an auto-zone pump (assuming the dealer didn't do the work) rather than a dealer (ac delco) pump in this instance they squeal pretty good

-When in gear, if i push the gas maybe 20% or less I get a vibrating metalic sound from the rear of the truck. It sounds as if there is a loose exhaust shield vibrating. Something that is thin metal. I dont think it is a big problem but I havent had time to slide up under there. Is there a common problem with these trucks in this aspect?

I had the same problem on mine. There is a protective heat shield on passenger side that connects to trans shell and frame. This was loose and vibrating a thin metal sound same as you describe. When I had my trans R&R'd the mechanic noticed it was loose. Re-installed it tight and vibration sound is gone. Keep in mind I'm 2wd so on your AWD it might be completely different. Just adding my experince to try and help you...

Edited by Bad aSS Silvy (see edit history)

that thing looks good for 99000 ........ill give my .2 cents on the power steering pump, more than likely its an auto-zone pump (assuming the dealer didn't do the work) rather than a dealer (ac delco) pump in this instance they squeal pretty good

The power steering pump was ordered and installed by the dealer. It whines like like a blower. They did have a problem and ordered the wrong one the first time..they reordered the same day and had it within an hour. Maybe they realized their error and went to auto zone to get one quickly.

The power steering pump was ordered and installed by the dealer. It whines like like a blower. They did have a problem and ordered the wrong one the first time..they reordered the same day and had it within an hour. Maybe they realized their error and went to auto zone to get one quickly.

does it only whine while turning or all the time? also was this a gm dealership?

Edited by bruiser04 (see edit history)