Handheld Tuners?

dfresh

Guys I'm trying to decide if I should purchase a handheld tuner (Edge, Hypertech, Bullydog, etc...) or have a PCM tune done. I want to to be able to have performance at times but also switch to a fuel economy mode for long trips. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Guys I'm trying to decide if I should purchase a handheld tuner (Edge, Hypertech, Bullydog, etc...) or have a PCM tune done. I want to to be able to have performance at times but also switch to a fuel economy mode for long trips. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Everyone here will tell you PCM tune hands down. I recently just ordered my own PCM tune from Wheatley. Still waiting on shipping.

• 3 weeks later...

Best of both worlds is a SCT hand held loaded with custom tunes!!!

With my SCT I have the option to have up to 3 100% custom tunes(done on the street because of awd but they can be loaded with ANY custom tune),I can datalog with the hand held,clear trouble codes on any GM car/truck from 96 up,and a few other differences.

You forced induction guys jaws might hit the ground when you saw you are leaving another 100+rwhp on the table by being limited with your 1 pump gas tune.Or your nitrous car having to drive around NA with a nitrous tune.

Im sure some will start slamming SCT but id be certain those who do havent had there GM vehicle tuned via SCT.You can swap tunes in under 5 minutes.....

I see some tuners slamming the SCT software but im pretty certain its because they dont want to spend the $$$$ for the licensing vs the EFI live,HPT,etc,etc,that are roughly 10x cheaper!!!!

Just the fact the tunes can be changed by the end user and the fact you have multiples instead of just 1 makes it the clear winner!!!

I know about the hack job that allows HPT to have 2 tunes but ill tell you 1 thing ive learned from owning Buick Grand Nationals,any wiring that is spliced in is a failure waiting to happen,even more so when they have to do with the ecm!!

Several FAST SCT tuned GM's around here in Birmingham,AL.My local tuner sells HPT,Diablo,SCT,and others.After seeing a 100% stock Lq9(no cam or heads)with a rear mount STS kit make 650rwhp after being tuned with SCT software,I knew it was good stuff.

If anyone truly thinks there is a HUGE difference with tuning programs and not the tuner doing the adjustments,go stand back in the line for brains!!lol

All of the big tuning programs are all streets taking you to the exact same place!!!

well for 1 wheatley locks his tunes so there are no "CHANGES" made. and as far as ur SCT thing, this new person doesnt have enough knowledge to know how to change tunes so BROKE1, thats not worth ANYTHING FOR ANYONE.