At What Point Would You Upgrade Your Brakes?

03_SS_22

kind of like going all out on little stuff, bolt ons over time or going with a blower right off the bat. imo save a little more and go with the big dog's they help alot more along with looking ( . Y . )

What mods do you have? If medium-heavily modded go big. If you have simple bolt-ons I would just do the upgrade to the 06 front setup, s/s lines and syn fluid.

I got 64k out of my stock brakes, yes they could be better but I cant complain about they lasted awhile. Some members have gone over 100k miles on stock setups. Just some food for thought.

Free life advice from the career speeder - don't ever mess around with steering, brakes, or tire mods. :driving:

Again I will encourage everyone reading this (including the OP) - your first mod on these trucks should be improved brakes, I would do it immediately after purchasing your truck. The stock brakes on the late-model GMT-800 vehicles are crap, as in dangerously inadequate.

IMO you have two choices - if you are keeping the truck short-term (you will sell/trade it someday) then flush the brake system with GOOD brake fluid (ATE, Motul, etc) and replace all the pads with a good entry-level autocrossing formula (Hawk HPS or equivalent) and at least that will keep you from rear-ending someone in a panic situation. If you are keeping the truck long-term (or forever) then do not f__k around, get 15" brakes on the front & 14" brakes on the rear (or upgraded rear pads on 2WD trucks) either the Baer's or C6 PBR, either one will work of course the issue then is (besides cost) the fact you MUST run 20" or larger rims, if you have to run smaller rims (drag radials on front axle?!) then at least get 14" rotors on the front axles.

For the guys that don't think brake mods are sexy, consider this: with bigger brakes, you can drive more aggressively - race cars can go faster/deeper into the corners before hitting the brakes because they can brake harder, and in the end turn much better lap times and win races. Brakes are not only essential safety/control equipment, but critical speed equipment too. Don't outdrive your truck, get good brakes.

Rant over!

Mr. P. :)

kind of like going all out on little stuff, bolt ons over time or going with a blower right off the bat. imo save a little more and go with the big dog's they help alot more along with looking ( . Y . )

I'm probably going to slowly build up. I'm almost going to pay off my truck so there will be some build money! :devil: and hell yeah big brakes are sexy.

What mods do you have? If medium-heavily modded go big. If you have simple bolt-ons I would just do the upgrade to the 06 front setup, s/s lines and syn fluid.

I got 64k out of my stock brakes, yes they could be better but I cant complain about they lasted awhile. Some members have gone over 100k miles on stock setups. Just some food for thought.

I just want to mod it with no doubt or issue.

Free life advice from the career speeder - don't ever mess around with steering, brakes, or tire mods. :driving:

Again I will encourage everyone reading this (including the OP) - your first mod on these trucks should be improved brakes, I would do it immediately after purchasing your truck. The stock brakes on the late-model GMT-800 vehicles are crap, as in dangerously inadequate.

IMO you have two choices - if you are keeping the truck short-term (you will sell/trade it someday) then flush the brake system with GOOD brake fluid (ATE, Motul, etc) and replace all the pads with a good entry-level autocrossing formula (Hawk HPS or equivalent) and at least that will keep you from rear-ending someone in a panic situation. If you are keeping the truck long-term (or forever) then do not f__k around, get 15" brakes on the front & 14" brakes on the rear (or upgraded rear pads on 2WD trucks) either the Baer's or C6 PBR, either one will work of course the issue then is (besides cost) the fact you MUST run 20" or larger rims, if you have to run smaller rims (drag radials on front axle?!) then at least get 14" rotors on the front axles.

For the guys that don't think brake mods are sexy, consider this: with bigger brakes, you can drive more aggressively - race cars can go faster/deeper into the corners before hitting the brakes because they can brake harder, and in the end turn much better lap times and win races. Brakes are not only essential safety/control equipment, but critical speed equipment too. Don't outdrive your truck, get good brakes.

Rant over!

Mr. P. :)

Thanks for the advice. After I get done with my suspension/brake work, i'll be giving you a call for a transmission... :fingersx:

Just did the 2005+ front brake upgrade to my truck yesterday...

A noticeable difference so far after about 100 miles I drove yesterday ( but thats a relative to the driver) EBC 3G rotors/7000 series pads...

I consider myself a consevative driver 95% highway...my original pads lasted 90k...

for my first brake replacement, I went with new stock rotors and EBC pads and noticed a slight improvement, but still not acceptable for hard braking...and the stock replacement/ebc 6000 pads lasted 100k, not too bad...pads still had life left in them, but the stock caliper on the passenger side seized and was only applying half pad to the rotor...I will go heavier withe the caliper grease next time as it was dry and rusted when I removed them...

I bought my truck new, and I agree with Mr. P, after one or two panic stops, you will realize stock brakes on a2003-2004 AWD SS are PATHETIC...

The stock brakes are no where near where they should be regarding stopping power...most cars are much better...

$250 rotors ebc 3g (slotted/dimpled) 13"" stock 2005+ RWD SS

$120 pads ebc 7000

braided lines...russel $40

synthetic fluid... $15

$110 for two pbr2 calipers (stock on 2005+ 2wd ss)

The sizes of the original components are very noticeable...the new style calipers are bigger, the rotors are 1" bigger...pads are about the same size...I assume the braking is better due to leverage/better hydraulic clamping power...

results?

Better feel, less pedal effort, less afraid to tow something now...but still not as good as any good 'car/crossover' brakes...I have not hammerd them hard yet, as I bed my pads slowly...

I went this route due to my mileage on my truck,,,190k

I will convert to hydroboost for an additional $200 or so in the summer, and I think it will give me acceptable braking...but less than what a 14"/15" kit would give me...

I bought everything locally except the pads...

Overall I am not disappointed as I did not spend big bucks...my gut feeling tells me the hydroboost mod will give me better results...with these components and after watching/learning from all of these posts on brake upgrades the hydroboost mod should suit me well...

If I had a low mileage SS< and/or I was going to keep it for a long period of time or do big mods, or go fast, I would save my milk money and go big...

Edited by cadillacbob (see edit history)