Drag Radials That Will Fit On A Stock 16" Rim

The_aSSet

Don't the SSS trucks have to run a 17" or larger wheel to clear the factory calipers? I thought I read or heard that gm trucks that come factory with 20" or larger wheels must run a minimum of 17" wheels. I know my 03 z71 had 16s on it but the brakes were a tad smaller.

These MT DRs hook very well and are streetable as long as you never get caught in the rain.Hoosier also makes some 16 & 17s but not steetable.

http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/strip.php?item=ETStreetRadialII

For a true street DR Nitto has some nice tires.I was impressed how well they worked in the rain.If you go to corvetteforum.com or ls1tech.com you will find all kinds of reports on guys running 16 - 20" DRs.

Just my opinion, take it for whatever it is worth however you may be just as well going with a light, short summer radial with a soft compound if you are AWD. I run M&H drag radials and if they do not have good heat in them, they are no better than (may be worse) than a street tire. Being AWD, you will NOT be able to get even heat in all 4 tires unless you have signifgant power and true posi in BOTH the front and rear. I 60ft no better with a burn-out than just rolling on cold tires.

My suggestion will be to look for a shorter street tire (roughly 28-29" tall), to improve your gearing, and to find the lightest one. Tirerack will list the weight of each tire...good place to compare. Of course if you are 2WD, go with a full slick or DR because you can do the propper burn-out.

For reference, I ran a 29" street tire on 1999 16 inch Al Silverado wheels and also ran a 28" Drag Radial on the same wheels. I initially thought I saw an improvement, however after careful review of logs over a years worth of track times, there really wasn't an improvement. That being said, paying $110 a tire for the street tires over $170 a tire for the DR's is a factor. Also having the confidence to drive to the track with the street tires is a little less stressful.

My 16" M&H Drag Radials:

IMG_0164.jpg

IMG_0166.jpg

img_0059.jpg

Quick video of AWD squeeling the DR's at launch (my old Radix set-up):

th_kevinVSeddie.jpg

Good info.:thumbs: Nice to know you can use cheap street tires.Of course you could have dual line locks to bring up the heat.You would also get better traction with all the spare transfer cases you will have in the back after you do your burnouts and tear them apart.;)

Seriously.When I put my winter wheels on the difference in gearing was amazing.I have shorter tires on those wheels.It felt like I had moved up to a 4:56 or 4:88.It sure must be impressive pulling out of the staging lanes with real street tires,doing a couple of dry hops and then going 10s.:omg:

Just my opinion, take it for whatever it is worth however you may be just as well going with a light, short summer radial with a soft compound if you are AWD. I run M&H drag radials and if they do not have good heat in them, they are no better than (may be worse) than a street tire. Being AWD, you will NOT be able to get even heat in all 4 tires unless you have signifgant power and true posi in BOTH the front and rear. I 60ft no better with a burn-out than just rolling on cold tires.

My suggestion will be to look for a shorter street tire (roughly 28-29" tall), to improve your gearing, and to find the lightest one. Tirerack will list the weight of each tire...good place to compare. Of course if you are 2WD, go with a full slick or DR because you can do the propper burn-out.

For reference, I ran a 29" street tire on 1999 16 inch Al Silverado wheels and also ran a 28" Drag Radial on the same wheels. I initially thought I saw an improvement, however after careful review of logs over a years worth of track times, there really wasn't an improvement. That being said, paying $110 a tire for the street tires over $170 a tire for the DR's is a factor. Also having the confidence to drive to the track with the street tires is a little less stressful.

My 16" M&H Drag Radials:

IMG_0164.jpg

IMG_0166.jpg

img_0059.jpg

Quick video of AWD squeeling the DR's at launch (my old Radix set-up):

th_kevinVSeddie.jpg