Engine Gurus Come On In

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Danny is right. You must have some way to stop the lifter from rotating in a roller lifter set up. If the lifter turns it can damage the cam, lifter, lifter bore(which may require a new block) and further if the bearing does come apart.

I choose to use the lifter trays vs tie bar style. The tie bar adds weight to the valve train and is one more thing to go wrong at 7000 rpm. However i use the ls2 trays not the one that came on our motors. The ls2 trays allow oil to drain out of the them...chasing the extra .75 hp. I'm not even sure if you can get the old lq9 one anymore. DO NOT START THE MOTOR WITH OUT THE LIFTER BEING GUIDED. it can gall the cam and roller in no time.

I don't think a large lift cam can pull the lifter out of the tray though. The base circle of the cam is what would do that, and i think the larger duration/lift cams have a larger base circle so this would be even better.

Edited by shadowsniper3006 (see edit history)

Krambo, Brad, please let me know what you think I just wanna be sure this is done rite!

LOL it's not about what people think about the lifter trays, it's about what is REQUIRED in order to properly run your lifters!

Danny is right. You must have some way to stop the lifter from rotating in a roller lifter set up. If the lifter turns it can damage the cam, lifter, lifter bore(which may require a new block) and further if the bearing does come apart.

I choose to use the lifter trays vs tie bar style. The tie bar adds weight to the valve train and is one more thing to go wrong at 7000 rpm. However i use the ls2 trays not the one that came on our motors. The ls2 trays allow oil to drain out of the them...chasing the extra .75 hp. I'm not even sure if you can get the old lq9 one anymore. DO NOT START THE MOTOR WITH OUT THE LIFTER BEING GUIDED. it can gall the cam and roller in no time.

Brad can you please frame that post and send it to John for us.

Thanks buddy :cheers:

I know a lot of LS guys drill out holes in their lifter trays for oil drain back at higher RPMs too.

First off I know those guys also know their shit, so with that being said I want all the knowledgeable people I can get to weigh in on this.

Second Josh while your at it correct 2bshiny's name aswell, thanks.

I don't think a large lift cam can pull the lifter out of the tray though. The base circle of the cam is what would do that, and i think the larger duration/lift cams have a larger base circle so this would be even better.

First off I know those guys also know their shit, so with that being said I want all the knowledgeable people I can get to weigh in on this.

Second Josh while your at it correct 2bshiny's name aswell, thanks.

Technically his name still fits... because it is already plenty shiny LOL

This is not suppose to be a "see your wrong" type of thing. I used the sources available to me to make the best, most accurate decision on the trays after I thought there could be issues (after talking to Brian). so its done rite, but I can expect all the shit to be tossed my way because I made a mistake. With that being said thanks to all that contributed to this. :cheers:

If you recall from our phone conversation this was also discussed.

FYI the part number is 12595365 for the LS2 trays

you could of been wrong....just sayin

Nope. :shakehead:

He's also been right sizing up a person's "heterosexual weakness." :jester: :jester: :jester: