2004 Silverado Problems

jakeinwilliston

Hey there, I know I am in the wrong forum, but I figured with all this knowledge floating around on this board, I could get some help. I have a 2004 v6 silverado, 110,000 miles. Since about 70,000 miles I have had a light on my dash, always runs fine, but after about 5 minutes of driving, the dash will make a chime and tell me to tighten fuel cap. So I tried that, then I tried a new fuel cap, and had the codes cleared. Then a few days later it will come on again. Anyways I have noticed lately that it hasnt been getting the mileage that it used to, and it seems like it struggles really hard to get above 80. I also thought the other day that I heard it backfire. It still drives fine and everything, just kinda worried. I took it to autozone today, had them check the codes, it came up P0455, which it has been showing that code for a long time now, and it showed code P0302. Now I had new spark plugs put in a few months ago, and I occasionally put fuel cleaners in my tank. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

sounds like an evap leak to me

:withstupid: Check out this thread, the P0455 code is a common issue, this thread outlines the problem..... http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/topic/70174-p0449-code-question/

P0302 is a cylinder #2 misfire, and has nothing to do with the EVAP leak. I have seen the cylinder #2 misfire issue before in the past with the 4.3L V6. You need to start by checking the spark plug and ignition wire to that cylinder, if all is fine, then it's time to move on to the fuel injector and wiring. In the case I had, the cylinder #2 fuel injector was faulty......this may or may not be your problem, just food for thought. You really should address this problem soon, as the backfires you are hearing are caused by excess fuel getting into your exhaust system from the misfire, which will kill your cat(s) before long........