Front Left Wheel Bearing

amscholtz@comcast.net

Went to the dealer this morning and had them diagnose the noises I have been hearing for awhile. Came back as being the front left wheel bearing needing replacement. Is it best to go with oem parts in this case or is there a superior after market one worth getting? Also anyone recommend a good place to buy one from?

Went to the dealer this morning and had them diagnose the noises I have been hearing for awhile. Came back as being the front left wheel bearing needing replacement. Is it best to go with oem parts in this case or is there a superior after market one worth getting? Also anyone recommend a good place to buy one from?

I did mine about 2 months ago, went with a replacement from my local auto parts store because i was in a time crunch. Cost about $125. However, i saw them on summit for $85 so you might wanna check them out there.

Did a bit of checking around online and it looks like a lot of people like the Timken replacements and they are recommending doing both at once. Found them on amazon and rockauto for about the same price, 115 shipped each. Is SP500300 the right part number?

http://www.amazon.com/Timken-SP500300-Axle-Bearing-Assembly/dp/B001EGT3I4/ref=au_pf_pfg_s?ie=UTF8&Model=Silverado%201500|491&n=15684181&s=automotive&Make=Chevrolet|47&Year=2004|2004&newCar=1&carId=001

Ya that is the right part #, I just did my pass. side with a Timken, very satisfied with the quality. I got it from autopartswarehouse over nighted for $140. If you call or use the chat feature on their website you can get them to give you a better deal. Just an FYI.

• 2 years later...

hate to resurrect this thread but was using search so here I am. I need to do this on pass side front thinking of doing both question is how tuff is it to do and should I get an alignment after? got about 90k on truck is there anything else to replace while I am in there and save some time later.

Do not get a Timken. My buddy works at a dealer and has seen them fail time after time. Even though they have a lifetime warranty who wants to do the job again sooner than later?? I bought Moog just like my buddy told me and have never had an issue. The quality is there and youo can see the difference between Timken and Moog.

Advance Auto Parts sells Moog. Otherwise get the GM replacement but you will spend about $400 on just the part as the Moog is about $175.

hate to resurrect this thread but was using search so here I am. I need to do this on pass side front thinking of doing both question is how tuff is it to do and should I get an alignment after? got about 90k on truck is there anything else to replace while I am in there and save some time later.

Normally with suspension you want to do both, as if one is worn the other is shortly behind it. I only did one on my truck and never had to touch the other side. It is always best to replace both and then have it re aligned as the bearing fails it does change the way the wheels sits and suspension loads.

There could be other things you might have to change but you will have to look for worn items. The easiest hassle free way of doing this is to go to your nearest Sears Auto center if you have one. Ask for the suspension evaluation and they will look over all suspension and let you know what needs to be replaced or what is starting to have some play.

The wheel bearings can be a little tough or it could just fall out. Mine took 6 hours to break free as the two different metals dont go well together and seize. Use alot of PB Blaster or something similar and saturate it for a few days before hand to loosen things up. Having air tools come in handy... Just be careful when you go to seperate the bearing from the hub as you dont want to damage the factory hub.

Edited by Blown 346 (see edit history)

Thanks for the response I called local gm dealer they want $550-$650 to do just one side I have access to a lift and air tools so think i will try it even taking 6 hours i think ill be money ahead. Going to sears first is great idea tho and ill do that for sure.