Magnaflow 12599 Muffler Install Report

So my truck had some thrush chambered mufflers on it and big chrome dual outlets out the back when I got it (used) but I wasn't a big fan. Too loud and raspy for my taste and I don't like the huge chrome tips out the back. So a buddy of mine happened to have a stock cat back at his shop that I put on for free. That made the truck too quiet for my taste and the muffler had a loose baffle in it and rattled like crazy (thus why the owner of the truck it was previously on swapped it out I would guess). I did a lot of research on here and elsewhere on the internet and decided that the dual 3" in/out Magnaflow should fit my needs well and I wanted to keep the stock tailpipe and location, so no need to get a full cat back.

The local muffler shop was able to modify the stock after-muffler Y-pipe and keep the tailpipe and also tucked it up closer to the body for me, which is nice, and the 3" inlets of the muffler required a short adapter piece of 3" pipe to be welded onto the stock mid-pipes so everything would fit nicely. It ended up costing me $150 for all the labor to put the muffler in, but I am satisfied with the work.

Now on to the muffler itself... It is a sweet looking unit and the specs seem great for performance and it is fairly large so one would think it should muffle things well. The reviews I read said it is only slightly louder than stock until you get on it. I have to vehemently disagree with that assessment. The only time it is "only a little bit" louder than stock is at idle. Anything over that and it is easily 5X as loud as the stock muffler. Which isn't a bad thing, I'm just saying... It's definitely a lot louder than stock. I love the way it sounds at part throttle and in city driving conditions and at WOT. But I have a serious problem with the way the thing drones at highway speeds. For me, 65-75 MPH covers 90% of my highway driving. There is some sort of odd resonance at the RPMs my truck cruises at at those speeds. It is the worst right at 70MPH and then almost completely goes away at 65 and 75. It is enough to give you a headache if you drive like that for 10 minutes straight or so.

I'm not really sure what I am going to do about the drone/resonance issue at this point, but just wanted to put this review out there for others.

Who else out there has this muffler on their truck? Anybody else have a nasty drone at 70MPH?