Saw Ef-3 Tornado Damage This Weekend

misterp

My fiance and I travelled this weekend to Florida for a family function, we drove to Georgia to rendevous with her family, and then drove south to the Tampa area. Along the way we drove through Tuscaloosa and saw lots of wind damage on the freeway (I-20) and were awed by the trees that were snapped in half, there was nothing left taller than 12-15 feet, the trees were just snapped like toothpicks by the wind.

THEN we drove right through the path of a tornado that crossed I-75 (in Georgia, below Atlanta) and I captured that on video; it really strikes you when the scenery goes from the most dense forrested undergrowth you've seen in your life to an almost barren landscape. I was told that three 18-wheelers drove right into the funnel and were blown off the road, but the drivers survived. :eek: Much of the what's left is dead 'pine snags' standing on bare earth scoured by the wind. The tornado was 1/2-mile wide, 140-mph wind speeds, on the ground for 45-minutes, traveled 40-miles - doing a little mental math that means the storm 'ran' at 50-60 MPH, I can see why it killed 2 people and injured 22 more...

Something gets lost in the video, it's like the Grand Canyon or seeing the Ocean - you just don't appreciate the impact unless you see it firsthand -

Mr. P. :)

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

The power of a tornado is unimaginable...I will never forget what i've seen. I had a friend who lives there..they were in process of moving to new home when it was destroyed.

Steve were you in the area of Wichita Falls in 1979? Just curious if you saw that damage

Edited by brobradh77 (see edit history)

yeah that was pretty badly damaged on I-75 steve we went through there probably 3 or so hours it crossed 75 there were 2 more spots on 75. We seen one of the 18 wheelers just destroyed on the side of the highway there was nothing left of the trailer and the contents were spread all over the meadian. he was standing by the side of the truck shaking his head. real bad for sure..