Hptuners

Brunswicks SS

Im not quite sure if this is the right sub forum but if not move it. My question is if I purchased hptuners how harrd is it to learn how to tune? As anyone that knows me I love to learn about anything espically cars. Also what is the main difference between pro and standard. Can someone just explain how everything works with credits and all. I will not be using it on my truck more than likely so are these universal kits since my next purchase will be a LS2 and also want to tune my friends car and make a little money once I have experience. Is the 650$ plus wide band worth the investment? Thanks for any help also is anyone will to mentor me? thanks again fellaspepsicheer.gif

I would suggest going onto the HPTuners website and forum and look at the FAQ's section (Frequently Asked Questions). Your questions are covered in detail there.

Good thread to read (has many links): HPT FAQ click here

Now, I am not trying to challenge your abilities however if you have never seen tuning software before, do not expect to open the software and know how to tune. It will take months and years to know how to TUNE vs. knowing how to USE the software. They are distinctively different topics IMHO. Sign up on the HPT forum and Read, Read, Read. Another great thing to do is to pair up with someone who is proficient with the software and just watch.

I purchased HPT Pro almost 2 years ago and in no way shape or form do I consider myself a tuner let alone try to tune. With my recent build I have used my software more than I have needed in the past and I am just starting to get familier with where things are at with help from EXPERIENCED friends. Notice how I said experienced. Its a great tool to have to aid in troubleshooting performance issues by scanning and logging data and letting someone with tuning experience review the data and help correct the issue.

Im with Kevin, not trying to challenge your ability but if you are wanting to buy it and start tuning right off the bat I wouldnt suggest it. Specially on others vehicles.

:withstupid::withstupid::withstupid:

HPT and EFILive are great tools. But so is a good pair of pliers, and not everyone knows how to best 'use' them lol.

I have been an automotive enthusiast my whole adult life (20+ years now) and thought I knew a lot about cars & engines & fueling & ... (fill in the blank). But I realized how little I knew about internal combustion when I began learning to tune, and even a couple misconceptions I had about how the real world works inside a motor. What I did was to spend the $500 and take a weekend beginner tuning class with one of the experts, it was a complete godsend. In my case I went to Ben Shrader's EFI-101 class, but I would also recommend Greg Banish's classes as well based on reputation and feedback I have heard. That was a few years ago, at that time the knowledge to teach yourself how to tune was not available on forums or published anywhere on the internet; now however there is enough 'beginner knowledge' on the HPT or EFILive support forums that it is possible you can teach yourself over the internet how to intelligently come up with a PCM calibration, until you get to the limit of everyone's common experience (not many on the forum will know how to help you tune that twin-turbo 2500-hp methanol motor hahaha).

A wideband is essential when you've modded anything more than a CAI and/or catback IMO. Any wideband will do if you are N/A - if you are forced-induction, I highly recommend the NGK AFX wideband because the sensor they use (NTK sensor) is much more accurate at the lower AFRs required in forced induction, and it's the best kit you can buy for under $300 - hell you can buy direct from NGK for $269 I think (and Summit will price-match that).

You ask if it's worth the investment - my answer is: if automotive really is your passion, and you will be continually wrenching/modifying on your own vehicle, then yes you want your own tuning software even if you pay someone else to actually do the calibration. The reason I say is that you will have the tools to log what is happening in your vehicle, and the tools to make those changes. If you want to grow in your automotive hobby, then it's absolutely the best money spent but it will force you to have to learn and challenge you to truly understand internal combustion. AND, if you decide you don't care for it, there are plenty of people that will pay good money for used HPT or EFILive software, it is by far the one "mod" that retains it's resale value.

Get on either the HPT or EFILive support forum, and start reading now. You can download and install the software for free on your PC and begin playing with it right away (you just won't have the cable to connect to your vehicle). Start reading the tutorials, how-tos, etc. Get to learning general "fueling theory", there are some good PDFs from *both* communities on this. Ask questions on that forum, or here, you will find that the gurus like to give back and will be very helpful to those that truly show they want to learn. And you have to *study* so expect that you will actually have to apply yourself. If you don't want to study and master tuning, then no problem but go find someone else who has and pay them what they are worth!!!

Mr. P. :)

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

:withstupid: :withstupid:

exactly.

I have had mine for over a year and am still very wet behind my ears about tuning. I have used it many times to pull codes using just the scanner. for that alone I would buy it again.

you can read on the HPT forum before you buy the software, but untill you start getting the hang of where certain tabs are it will not be as meaningful if you actually have the program.

Find a mentor! There are some good ones here, but the best is someone local...who can talk you thru doing a few things on your own

thanks for the good responses I was worried no one was going to answer. see now here is the dead horse question.... efilive or HPT? I have personally seen HPT (never used just looked) and it seemed very easy and the 2.0 is supposed to be 1000x better which I believe is out now. The only reason I`m considering EFI is they have Tuning 101 and 102 which i believe are EFI based classes?confused.gif Another prolly dumb question but do you need a wideband? I know you need NGK for a boosted application but just for any car or if I wanted to tune my buddy at the track can I just use OBD or is it needed? any help would be really appreciated thanks guys as always big help! Sorry for all the questions!peelout.gif

I use EFI Live. I am not a tuner only hope to be able to tune what I need for my truck. I have read hours in tuning for idle alone. And that is a small part of the weeks worth of reading and taking pages of notes. Tuning with a wideband is a must. So budget that in for sure.