Dyno Tune Vs Pcm Tune

Raffailo

04 SS with Volant CAI at the moment, im soon going to add the Volant Scoop, Borla muffler. after searching and searchin ive located a performance shop localy that dyno tunes and also a PCM tuner.

whats the difference from both? other then price of course.

which do you guys recommend and why?

im in the bay area (oakland) and found NewTech Performance out of Hayward. and currently working on a Tuner guy also from the bay area waiting on an email from him. know of any more in the bay area?

Thanks.

NewTech Performance, i keep finding bad reviews from these guys.......... is it common to in either a PCM tune or Dyno Tune to seriously damage the engine if they do anything wrong on there part?

both will be fine at part throttle, as long as the mail order tuner is close enough. The dyno tune will be more accurate, if done right, on part throttle and WOT.

Both guys will be "tuning" the same things, just that one guy has to draw on a past experiance and current knowledge and the dyno tuner gets see if his changes are right on or not.

If your looking for a mail order tuner, we have 3ish on this site to look into. Zippy, wheatley, black bear. Wheatley and black bear have banners on the left side of your screen, i can get you Zippy's info.

Remember for dyno tuning....your AWD. AWD dyno's are hard to come by. This means you have to pull your front drive shaft for the dyno pulls ONLY. Do not drive with it off, or do burn outs, or leave the parking lot with it off. You run the risk of damage to your transfer case. A mess of us dyno our trucks with out it, and it works fine, but be smart about it.

Thanks for the info,

the PCM tunner guy is local and i wouldnt have to send out for a PCM. would he be able to tune it live, test it out etc. he wouldnt be pulling off the front drive shaft of course. ive read up on that shop near by and with the bad reviews they seem like cut throat guys that need to work on the customer service skills and would simply bend me over and screw me with me knowing. haha who knows. found another shop in san jose called Synergy Performance (there rivals) better reviews but pricier. im not planning to do any huge mods to the truck just fast and simple onces. ill see how this continues to pan out. Thanks for the advice.

more would be appreciated from the rest of the forum. see what people think :)

found another shop in san jose called Synergy Performance (there rivals) better reviews but pricier. im not planning to do any huge mods to the truck just fast and simple onces. ill see how this continues to pan out. Thanks for the advice.

more would be appreciated from the rest of the forum. see what people think :)

You have to pay to play :chevrolet:

very true but with simple mods like CIA with Scoop borla muffler and maybe hi flow CAT, would Dyno find me the most HP i could get or would the PCM do the same.

other words IF YOU had these mods which road would you take.... PCM or DYNO......

Keep in mind that it isn't the dyno that makes the tune great, it is the person tuning your vehicle. Put a truck on the dyno with a horrible tuner and the truck will run like poop when he is finished.......choose wisely.......

very true but with simple mods like CIA with Scoop borla muffler and maybe hi flow CAT, would Dyno find me the most HP i could get or would the PCM do the same.

other words IF YOU had these mods which road would you take.... PCM or DYNO......

most all good tuners have done numerous trucks with similar mods, and most have fine tuned a few on a dyno, so a mail order or street tune for those mods will be on par with one from a dyno. I say you save some buck and get a street/mail order tune and go to the dyno for either dyno numbers or when you have enough mods to warrant a dyno tune.