Bypass Valve Adjustment?

The truck got its final upgrade, I went from the POS Bosch plastic bypass valve to a polished Vortech Mondo race valve. :pimp: But my first drive I hated it; the reason I say is not because of the noise (which is substantial) but because the part-throttle response in daily driving is a dog. Before I had this valve I could just throw a sharp slight stab of the toe into the gas pedal and the truck would pull really hard, now because the bypass is open a large part of the time (unless you are 100% foot-down WOT) it is venting boost during normal driving and the engine response is crappy.

There is an adjustment screw on the valve, and I did 'tighten' the valve so it closes sooner (with less manifold vacuum) and the truck feels better at 1/2-throttle, but the off-idle is still sucky. The instructions warn not to tighten more than 4-full turns, I'm already at 6-turns and want to go more - anyone gone through this learning experience already and have advise? Do I just keep tightening the adjustment screw until the valve closes just off-idle? Do I want to tighten it so much that the valve is closed at idle, but still 'vents' at WOT lift-off to prevent compressor surge? I am wondering how far should I tighten it...

Mr. P. :)

The truck got its final upgrade, I went from the POS Bosch plastic bypass valve to a polished Vortech Mondo race valve. :pimp: But my first drive I hated it; the reason I say is not because of the noise (which is substantial) but because the part-throttle response in daily driving is a dog. Before I had this valve I could just throw a sharp slight stab of the toe into the gas pedal and the truck would pull really hard, now because the bypass is open a large part of the time (unless you are 100% foot-down WOT) it is venting boost during normal driving and the engine response is crappy.

There is an adjustment screw on the valve, and I did 'tighten' the valve so it closes sooner (with less manifold vacuum) and the truck feels better at 1/2-throttle, but the off-idle is still sucky. The instructions warn not to tighten more than 4-full turns, I'm already at 6-turns and want to go more - anyone gone through this learning experience already and have advise? Do I just keep tightening the adjustment screw until the valve closes just off-idle? Do I want to tighten it so much that the valve is closed at idle, but still 'vents' at WOT lift-off to prevent compressor surge? I am wondering how far should I tighten it...

Mr. P. :)

glue it shut it will be fine :jester:

Well this will be your problem if you tighten it too much. What will happen is that from a wot pull and you let off at full boost you'll start popping your charge tubing off so I would just play with it till you think its where you want it whith out popping tubes or surging your s/c or even poppi.g your belt off.