P0420

ChinoHillian

Truck is throwing this code after putting on hi flow cats with my long tubes. I do have a ticking sound from front driver side of the engine so I don't think this could be a plugged cat. Any help or suggestions on what this is?

When I go WOT on the truck, she starts to shake back and forth around 3000 rpm so I back off. Other than that, drivability has remained the same.

I just read that an exhaust manifold leak could cause this so I believe that is where the ticking sound is coming from. Should i buy OEM exhaust gaskets and check my spark plug torquing?

Edited by ChinoHillian (see edit history)

The p0420 is from the high flow cats. The sample between front and rear sensors are too close. The ticking can be hard to pinpoint. The sound can be magnified and travel to the opposite place it actually is. Use the stock MLS gaskets and make sure the bolts are correctly torqued. Use anti-seize on the bolts too. Run the truck normal for a few heat cycles and recheck the bolts torque.

The p0420 is from the high flow cats. The sample between front and rear sensors are too close. The ticking can be hard to pinpoint. The sound can be magnified and travel to the opposite place it actually is. Use the stock MLS gaskets and make sure the bolts are correctly torqued. Use anti-seize on the bolts too. Run the truck normal for a few heat cycles and recheck the bolts torque.

As stated above.......

Soooooo have your tuner tune out the rear O2 sensors. If the truck isn't tuned it needs to be, and if not the high flow cats will be melted and you'll need new ones.

Search P0420 in the search tab, and you will see how common this is with LT headers and hi flow cats.

BTW what headers did you put on?

Edited by sinr98 (see edit history)

Took the SSS to a shop today and found out that a cylinder wasnt firing because one of the spark plug wires was leaning on the header. So the high rpm shuddering is fixed. Came to find that there is an exhaust leak in the hi flow cat! Still working on P0420

Took the SSS to a shop today and found out that a cylinder wasnt firing because one of the spark plug wires was leaning on the header. So the high rpm shuddering is fixed. Came to find that there is an exhaust leak in the hi flow cat! Still working on P0420

The driver's cat is leaking? Is one of the 02 sensor bung plugs missing? A leaky cat would definitely cause a P0420(driver's side cat low efficiency).....

Was the Dynatech kit new?

It was MY dynatech kit. with less than 5k miles on it. Like I told Nathan, I would be contacting Dynatech or having a shop weld the leak. I stilll do not think it is plausible that they are leaking, nor can I understand how they decided there was a leak "under the heat shield"...I think the shop is trying to sell him a bill of goods.