Motor Oil Dyno Test

silverado777

So I got done spending about $90 for an oil change today and my brother was giving me crap about it since he thinks oil is just oil. So...I was doing some research and came across this and thought it was pretty cool.

90$$!? what kind of oil are you putting in that thing? liquid gold? lol the most mine cost is 60$ and i buy probably the most expensive stuff they have. mobil 1 gold cap and a k&n oil filter. oil jug is i believe now 38.99 and i always buy another court to top if off cause the jug is only 5.25 quarts. so now im at like 45. and the oil filter costs like 12-13$ or something like that which is expensive for a filter but i still buy it

Only oil that runs around that price that I know of is Motul. Good oil for winter, but not summer.

edit - wow mobil 1 came in last.....wish we could do this with the LQ9 motor. I am interested in this Nulon oil now.

Edited by 03mass (see edit history)

After rebuilding my motor, RP is all I use. Runs me about 75 with the K&N filter.

Interesting video, but there are a lot of different factors that could change the results. Clearances in the engine, temp, type of motor, etc.... Someone should try this with an SS.

90$!? what kind of oil are you putting in that thing? liquid gold? lol the most mine cost is 60$ and i buy probably the most expensive stuff they have. mobil 1 gold cap and a k&n oil filter. oil jug is i believe now 38.99 and i always buy another court to top if off cause the jug is only 5.25 quarts. so now im at like 45. and the oil filter costs like 12-13$ or something like that which is expensive for a filter but i still buy it

I use RP. A 4 quart jug is $35. I had to buy two since I need 6 quarts plus the Mobile 1 oil filter which is $13. I guess technically it cost less since I have 2 quarts left over for next time. And no I don't take it anywhere to get my oil changed.

My thought process is that the purpose of motor oil is to prevent excessive wear to engine parts, not to add horse power. And from my experiences I am confident that Mobil1 will protect my engine, as for the other brands I am not sure as I don't have experience with them. But I would be willing to sacrifice a couple HP to have that peice of mind that my engine is protected.