Trans Getting Stuck In First Gear

This is my 2nd trans for this truck and of coarse I bought a used trans. Kick myself now I should have just got a flt. It was working fine for 15k miles, but it now wont shift when it is under load. If I let off the gas it will go into 2nd, and it shifts fine thru the remaining gears. I put a vette servo in back when I got it too. Any one have ideas what could be causing this issue?

Thanks in advance for anyone's thoughts.

Might be the solenoids. Run a scanner on it to see if it throws any codes. You might want to pull the pan off it and check the filter too. How does the fluid look since you've been driving it like this?

Ran a scan tool and no codes came up fluid was pink and smells fine too. That was my mechanics thought it might be a solenoid too, but was certian since it didn't throw a code. Do you think a clogged filter would do that?

It's possible or there could be something internally wrong. Have you noticed any slipping?

[/quote

If i am on the gas it wont go into 2nd until I let up and it will shift into 2nd, and will shift normal from there on. If I get on it the tranny down shifts and will go thru the gears with no problems except for 2nd. My first tranny kept slipping into second until it wouldnt really work any longer. This is definately different then that. I had some stuff programmed into the pcm and reached out to him but he said it doesnt sound like a computer issue. I read some where else if the MAF sensor is dirty it can through things off and can cause the tranny to shift strange, so today I cleaned that and disconnected the battery for a couple hours to reset the pcm, but no change.

The truck pulls hard in 1st gear and in 2nd once it gets into 2nd. Do you think it could be an issue with the vette servo?

I think I am going to pick up some trans fluid and a filter and drop the pan to see if I find any issues. Is the solenoid a hard thing to change?

I doubt it's the servo since it's been fine for 15k miles. Watch the rpms at the point it will and won't shift from when you get on the gas to the point you have to let off. If all the other gears are working just fine up and down, it could be the clutch pack. I'm hoping one of those lurking around who knows their way around the 4l60 better, will chime in here soon for ya.

If you can get the drain plug out of the pan, consider yourself lucky. If not, you'll have to loosen it all the way around and crack one side to drain it and it usually gets messy. The filter and the solenoids are extremely easy to change once the pan is off.

Its really strange with the rpms if I am on it the truck tachs out before it will shift. If I am driving normal and I let up around 3000 to 4000 it will go into second. This morning driving it the truck went into 2nd on its own,but it dropped back into first snapping my kneckk and hit 2nd . It's really weird. Hope like you said some one else. Chimes in that may have thoughts too. Thanks for your suggestions so far.

And yeah that plug is a joke, definitely going to have to drop the pan to change the fluid.