Polishing Z06 Calipers

I'm going to be doing the Z06 brake conversion all four corners, anyone have these and polished them to a nice shiny reflective surface??? Or any info if it can be done.... and how??? Any info would be great... and thanks in advance

Edited by SS Muscle Truck (see edit history)

Joe, im assuming the calipers come powder coated already?? Or can you order them raw finish?? Are you wanting to do this yourself or would lean towards having a shop do it??

In my opinion, if you can get them in a raw finish I would pay a shop to do it. I polished my rear stockers and it was a SOB. BUT I did them on the truck by hand rather than on a bench wheel.

edit: im also assuming this is why you called me last night. Sorry I couldnt get to my phone

Edited by 2BFAST (see edit history)

It is fairly easy if you have the time and tools to do this. Takes alot of time but if you get them to bare aluminum, and have a buffing wheel the easiest way to get into the grooves and contours to start is to use a greaseless buffing compound. Its like sand grit that you apply to a buffing wheel. You can get grits from 80 to 600. Use them in steps then when you finish off on the highest grit use some wet dry paper to 1000. Then start polishing with the wheels. I have used this method alot of times with success. Let me know if u have more questions.

It is fairly easy if you have the time and tools to do this. Takes alot of time but if you get them to bare aluminum, and have a buffing wheel the easiest way to get into the grooves and contours to start is to use a greaseless buffing compound. Its like sand grit that you apply to a buffing wheel. You can get grits from 80 to 600. Use them in steps then when you finish off on the highest grit use some wet dry paper to 1000. Then start polishing with the wheels. I have used this method alot of times with success. Let me know if u have more questions.

Which is why I mentioned the idea of having a shop do it. Unless you want to invest in the materials and tooling also the time to perform.

get the ZR1 calipers they are blue(?) power coat...or the Cts v ones are silver, IMO it would be a PITA to disassemble, remove paint, polish, reassemble...

would be nice to find a core set and just rebuild them...

Joe, im assuming the calipers come powder coated already?? Or can you order them raw finish?? Are you wanting to do this yourself or would lean towards having a shop do it??

In my opinion, if you can get them in a raw finish I would pay a shop to do it. I polished my rear stockers and it was a SOB. BUT I did them on the truck by hand rather than on a bench wheel.

edit: im also assuming this is why you called me last night. Sorry I couldnt get to my phone

Yeah they come powder coated already...... probably going to be a sob to get that off. Yes.... one of the reasons I was calling you...... probably going to leave them red...... for now.

Thank's for the info..... very helpfull

get the ZR1 calipers they are blue(?) power coat...or the Cts v ones are silver, IMO it would be a PITA to disassemble, remove paint, polish, reassemble...

would be nice to find a core set and just rebuild them...

not sure if the caliper bracket i'm buying will work with the other calipers joe..... and probably can't afford the ZR1 calipers....lol