6 Speed Auto Ss

Ok now that I have you undivided attention, My SS has 245,xxx on it and the tranny is getting tired, was thinking How hard would it be to go from the 4 speed auto to a 6? If I but the 6l80 will it bolt up? what other changes would need to be made?

Ok now that I have you undivided attention, My SS has 245,xxx on it and the tranny is getting tired, was thinking How hard would it be to go from the 4 speed auto to a 6? If I but the 6l80 will it bolt up? what other changes would need to be made?

Crossmember, driveshaft length, dipstick/tube and the transmission segment on the pcm would most def need to be addressed. I am not sure anyone has successfully made this conversion happen yet though. Do you googling to find out. One word of advice would be to pick up the 6L90 instead of the 6L80... supposed to be a tougher unit.

I am researching this possible swap also. It has been done on a TBSS and a few Silverados. I dont know for sure about any AWD swaps though. The 6L series trans are controlled by a tcm as ours are controlled by the pcm. There is a conversion box made for it but I dont know the specifics on it yet. I think its made by Speartech or someone like that. When i get some more info gathered up ill share it.

Edited by sinr98 (see edit history)

Great info man,I do appreciate it, yea definately let me know anything you can find out thanks. I would think that my gas mileage would be way better with the 6 speed, and I was told it would be a way better use of the power band? I would imagine highway would be a huge improvement too

any thought?

I am researching this possible swap also. It has been done on a TBSS and a few Silverados. I dont know for sure about any AWD swaps though. The 6L series trans are controlled by a tcm as ours are controlled by the pcm. There is a conversion box made for it but I dont know the specifics on it yet. I think its made by Speartech or someone like that. When i get some more info gathered up ill share it.

Things could have changed last I looked into doing this swap, but from what I recall the swap has been done by Speartech. Its not that difficult. The biggest obstacle was trying to use the factory gauges I believe. I don't remember what or why but if you check out Speartechs website they had all the info for the swap.

The swap done by speartech involved a gen IV motor not a Gen III. The six speed trans communicate over the CAN bus system where as the Gen III used the class 2 and I forgot the other one. Unless you completely rewired the truck to use all of the Gen IV electronics, this is not possible yet.

why would you have to rewire the whole truck?

The swap done by speartech involved a gen IV motor not a Gen III. The six speed trans communicate over the CAN bus system where as the Gen III used the class 2 and I forgot the other one. Unless you completely rewired the truck to use all of the Gen IV electronics, this is not possible yet.