Inspection Question

Krambo

So took the minivan in to have its annual safety and emissions inspection and FAILED the safety part. It is a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan and it failed for a broken LED turn signal light in the mirror. I knew about it but figured it wouldn't matter. I attached a picture of the LED in question (little white strip on the bottom of the mirror).

My question is can a vehicle FAIL for this? Having the turnsignal indicators in the mirrors is an OPTION on this vehicle and the normal indicators in the head / taillights are functioning properly?

I was told that if ANY OEM light on a vehicle is out it will fail.

Bottom line is that it cost me $140.00 just to have the tiny LED fixed so I can pass inspection! I did an evaluation and the cost of me picking up the vehicle from the dealer, fixing it and bringing it back to be inspected will cost the same so I had no real motivation to say FU, and take it somewhere else.

So am I getting BS'd here or is this a real deal?

I know what your saying but ...

I know Massachusetts law requires that ALL lights that are on a vehicle during production, everything little thing MUST be functional at the time of inspection. Even the little marker/running lights. Everything must be in working order ... If one bulb is out, even a Plate Light bulb, you'll get a big red "R" (Rejected) in MA.

Same goes for all Tractor Trailer inspections ... Everything must work ...

So, I bet PA has adopted a law similar to the MA one, as I believe it comes down to Guidlines from the National Highway Safety Bureau ... Basically your state can lose out on Federal Funding for highway/roads if certain laws are not excepted.

Edited by Stitches040 (see edit history)

Not sure on that BUT I train guys on forklifts and according to OSHA, If the lift has the option on it, ie turn signals, reverse lights, ect it has to work or its not supposed to be used. i know.. two different worlds but it could be the same issue... If it has it it should work

in jersey its emissions only now. you can go threw inspection with shaved door handles and tints as dark as you want lol. if you lived in jersey id be able to send you to my friends gas station but from i understand that is true. i remember them checking every exterior light bulb. im not to sure how it works with optional lights but i guess they figure if your car has it it has to work

Hey Kevin!

Sorry to hear about you being raped by the inspection station and the dealer for charging that much to change an LED light in a mirror, but unfortunately its been that way in PA for as long as i can remember. I remember being ALMOST failed once for a third brake light on the cab of my old truck being out. Luckily i knew the inspector and he just told me to get it fixed next time i get the chance. Its not like its REALLY a safety item, some vehicles don't even have them!

I did some research and it could go either way unfortunately. Per the Pensylvania Vehicle Equipment and Inspection Regulations Manual (available on-line: Reg link here) passenger vehicles less than 80 inches wide only are required to have 4 turn signal lamps:

At or near the front, 1 amber on each side of the vertical centerline, at the same height, and as far apart as practicable.

On the rear, 1 red or amber on each side of the vertical centerline, at the same height, and as far apart as practicable.

So you would think this is a slam dunk,... nope. Subchapter E 175.66. LIGHTING AND ELECTRICAL

SYSTEMS, for light trucks and passenger cars, states lamps that are not required and not located as described in Tables III, IV and V of this chapter are called "ornamental lamps" and are prohibited unless available as original equipment.

So the 3 LEDs in the mirror are technically NOT ornamental lamps per the PA regs because they were OE, an option at that. And by following the inspection procedure in Subchapter E:

Subchapter E 175.80. INSPECTION PROCEDURE

(9) Check the lamps and lenses and

REJECT IF one or more of the following

apply:

(i) An exterior bulb or sealed beam, if

originally equipped or installed, fails

to light properly, except ornamental

lights.

So, I could pitch a fit or fold. Looks like I am going to fold and ONLY go to my local guy (the one who inspects my SS) from now on. We have free inspections for life at the dealer for the van so that is the reason we brought it there. That was the last time, it is nothing more than a money making scheme.

Edited by Krambo (see edit history)

There is a gas station I go to about 30 minutes from were I live that gives inspections. I had a crack across my window,left turn signal out, and a tag light out. I told the guy if I give him an extra $10 to get a six pack, would he give it to me. Rolled out of their with a new sticker! I replaced them a few days later.

In New York, when conducting the safety portion of a NYS vehicle inspection, items like light bulbs can be replaced, along with any other repairs needed to get it to pass inspection. In NY, they will give you a 10-day temporary sticker if your vehicle did not pass(more or less for emmissions or EVAP related problems). A majority of independant shops here would probably over look that LED light under the mirror...........

Edited by Fireman31 (see edit history)

In maryland if any lights are not working it fails but if its a light like a fog light we used to just take the other fog light off and it passed. I'm sure its the same kind of deal with those mirror lights kinda stupid but it is what it is.

In maryland if any lights are not working it fails but if its a light like a fog light we used to just take the other fog light off and it passed. I'm sure its the same kind of deal with those mirror lights kinda stupid but it is what it is.

:withstupid: turn the other one off :) and its not equiped.

I hate when people get run threw the ringer to generate $$ under a weak pretense of safety (this is one and drivers repsonsibility fees are another :(

I have a daytime running light out, need to fix it.