Noob Maintenance Question

Okay I just bought my SS about three months ago with 70,000 miles on it. I'm in the air force so when I got home to PCS (move) to my new base, I noticed how crappy the roads were in Louisiana especially in town next to my base. I'm thinking its time to change the shocks on it. What is typical mileage you change your shocks? and what are some of the best shocks for everyday driving?

Im stationed @ fort polk LA, rode my truck there for a year. Currently in afghanistan... so here's some first hand advice on those SH**TY L.A roads:

I had 22's @ the time with 305/45/22 tires, had some random shocks, and it wasn't too good. I change to -Billstein HD shocks- made the ride ALOT better. But still nothing toooo great.

Do the "bump stop" tip, check the how to forums.. this helps ALOT for those crazy bumps and crebaces in the road.

To be honest, it's hard to tackle those roads there. It's one of the worst place I have ever driven my truck. I'm now sitting with DJM 3"/4" drop, 24's and smaller tires... I don't plan on taking my truck back for the fact OF THE ROADS...

Oh yea, get some good tie rods too, those roads will dominate your front end.. So take it easy on the roads and don't be silly.

I have the Bilstein HD, and I am not really a fan of them. Yes, they are better than stock, but I really realized how bad they were when I rode passenger in my truck without contacts so I could not see the road to brace for bumps. NorcalSS recommends the Belltechs over Bilsteins.

i've got the Belltech Street Performance and love them....but i like a firm ride for handling peroformance....probably not the way you would want to go for "comfort". Shocks should generally be replaced around 30-50k, depending on driving style and road conditions.

Im stationed @ fort polk LA, rode my truck there for a year. Currently in afghanistan... so here's some first hand advice on those SH**TY L.A roads:

I had 22's @ the time with 305/45/22 tires, had some random shocks, and it wasn't too good. I change to -Billstein HD shocks- made the ride ALOT better. But still nothing toooo great.

Do the "bump stop" tip, check the how to forums.. this helps ALOT for those crazy bumps and crebaces in the road.

To be honest, it's hard to tackle those roads there. It's one of the worst place I have ever driven my truck. I'm now sitting with DJM 3"/4" drop, 24's and smaller tires... I don't plan on taking my truck back for the fact OF THE ROADS...

Oh yea, get some good tie rods too, those roads will dominate your front end.. So take it easy on the roads and don't be silly.

Thanks man for the advice, you should see the stuff they fill in between the lines on the bridge that shit will wreck your bike. :blink:

I have the Bilstein HD, and I am not really a fan of them. Yes, they are better than stock, but I really realized how bad they were when I rode passenger in my truck without contacts so I could not see the road to brace for bumps. NorcalSS recommends the Belltechs over Bilsteins.

Whats the Price difference betweeen the two?

If you want a firm, truck like ride, get the Bilstein HD's......for a smooth, more car like ride, go with Edelbrock IAS shocks.....

What do you have?

i've got the Belltech Street Performance and love them....but i like a firm ride for handling peroformance....probably not the way you would want to go for "comfort". Shocks should generally be replaced around 30-50k, depending on driving style and road conditions.

Okay, thanks man