Newbie 2003 Ss Awd 30 K On My 3 Or 4 Brake Job Whats Going On

hd17f

hey i have a ss awd 2003 and the front back the factory lasted like 8 months... then the dealer cut them and reused the pads.. then i got power slot big rotor with the stock calipers and new pads those last 9 months then then i got auto zone rotors and pads and only last 8 months. I barley drive it... maybe like 20 miles a week its only got 33k ish. I just did the front rotors and pads for free since autozone gots lifetime warranty and the pedal stills pulsing and the pedals is always been soft and mushy..... im dk im sick of brake problems no abs light never comes on never did im now going to do the rears they have powerslot rotor and autos zone pads both front and rear have duralast c-max gold pads lifetime warrenty.... do you guys think it like the wheel bearing or knuckles... one dealer told me on the phone thats its the brakes .. i dont tow anything beside a small trailer and mower please help any advise is helpful before i sell this thing let me know thanks sorry so sloppy Portuguese is my first language

p.s any good big brake kits maybe i get one of those i seen a frnt only for 2,5000 ssbc cuz brembo and stop tech are like 3+ thats alot

Based on what you descibe, it sounds to me like you are not breaking the brakes in properly when they are new. I take it you are having problems with warped rotors......what process are using to break the new brakes in? The mushy pedal you feel is common, and is usually remedied with a stainless brake line kit upgrade. I also feel that part of your problem is your choice of parts. Cheap rotors and pads regardless if they have a lifetime warranty will not hold up to quality replacement or aftermarket upgrade parts. I myself have experience with PowerSlot rotors, and found they tend to warp easily also......your best bet is to stick with genuine AC Delco brake parts or an aftermarket brand like EBC.......

Your going to get what you paid for and and yeah auto zone even thought they are life time there just cheap. I went threw more calipers pads and rotors on my truck before everything just took car of its self. Its a long story but it was getting ridiculous. I would try someone else. Im running NAPA drilled slotted rotors and NAPA thermo tech pads. I got a good deal from my pops. Deff look around though and good luck..

Side note... Where in mass are you from??? I live in Burlington but Im from the Northboro areapeelout.gif

I also agree with Sick03ss, you get what you paid for. My stockers lasted from 03-11 with 64,3xx miles. I need a new setup now but I am going with stock rears and the 05+ brake upgrade. Stocks seem to do well if your not driving the truck daily, I had no problems with mine. They are just worn out and with all the feedback with other brakes (besides the BBKs) it seems stocks are good. May not be the best braking power, but they seem to last. You can also add little things like stainless steel brake lines and add Motul brake fluid.

Also another Mass member, in central next to worcester.

Edit - When you replaced the rotors, did you make sure you got the 330mm sized rotors and not the 325mms?

Edited by 03mass (see edit history)

I also agree with Sick03ss, you get what you paid for. My stockers lasted from 03-11 with 64,3xx miles. I need a new setup now but I am going with stock rears and the 05+ brake upgrade. Stocks seem to do well if your not driving the truck daily, I had no problems with mine. They are just worn out and with all the feedback with other brakes (besides the BBKs) it seems stocks are good. May not be the best braking power, but they seem to last. You can also add little things like stainless steel brake lines and add Motul brake fluid.

Also another Mass member, in central next to worcester.

Edit - When you replaced the rotors, did you make sure you got the 330mm sized rotors and not the 325mms?

no how can i tell i just went into the store and told then 03 silverado ss well i gotta to the rears i have advance,napa,genden,c.a.p and advance who sells the best pads and rotors also any help the front caliper bleeder screws are rusted bad and stripped any ways to remove them and do they sell replacements

If you are going to buy stock style replacement brake parts other then AC Delco, brand preference varies by person, but I would recommend rotors and pads from either Bendix or Raybestos IMO.....

i cant find anywhere that sells ac delco pads and rotors what came from the factory and i was looking at nape ultra or premium rotors and pads but what did the factory come with i want those since they last the longest any ideas on the soft crappy pedal ... p.s ac delco says pepboys sells there stuff but on pepboys site it doesnt say anything

Whoes doing the brake job? Theirs a member near Worcester that will be doing my brakes, stock all around but with the front 05+ bigger rotors. I specifically asked for AC Delco and thats the plan. PM me for some more info, if your doing the brake job yourself I would go to the dealership (I have been treated very well by mine, family has gone to them for 50 years). They let me in the back and watch the maintenance being done.

Edit - I dont think you have enough posts to Private Message yet, the minimum might be 10 or 15 but just keep posting and you soon will be able to PM.

Edited by 03mass (see edit history)

im just tired of my brake problems sometimes i wanna just sell the trck really dude it kills me i just wanna get some brkaes and will last years not months ...... i have powerslot rotors in rears with duralast gold pads and the truck still pulses bad i just did the front with duralast rotors and gold c-max pads im gonna just go ac delco all around if i can find a dealer around here and another question is it 330m rotors all around i think that could be the problem

It's 5....

thank you sir!

And yes the rotors are 330mms on all 4 corners. Dont give up on the truck yet. Just call the dealership and provide the VIN, that will get you the correct brakes.

When you are having these issues, are the rears going out quicker than the fronts? Usually the rears will be replaced twice before the fronts. The rear pads seem to eat away at the rotors also, Ive noticed it on mine real bad, Sick03ss pointed it out to me. Have you had the wheels aligned and tires balanced during any of the brake jobs?

Thank you again, I forgot about the front 03-04s being smaller. I just have the setup 4 my truck solid in my mind, I forget the little things. Thank you for the correction, I dont want to hand down false knowledge.

ok thank everyone im going to call ac delco and get the right part numbers then jump on ebay and order the right part number the dealer has crazy pricing for brakes ill post an update