Chrome To Paint Or Powdercoat

stevet8754

is it expensive to go from the chrome rims that i have now to painted or powdercoat them for a fresh look without buying new rims?. im guessing you have to sandblast off the chrome on the rims and paint or powdercoat them. just dont know the cost. if anyone knows plz let me know.

the chrome is pitted and in some places pealing ( the last owner didnt take care of the rims)

and the centercap i bought brand new chrome to match the rim and the chrome paint is pealing off of it as well. i was debating on painting the centercap black but im unsure how it would look.

the best pic i have atm is the one attched. i can take more if needed.

post-21019-078057200 1309956645_thumb.jpg

If they are bad pitted, and peeling, you are going to be better off with new rims all together. The only way to get all the chrome off for powder coat is to have the rims acid washed. This is abit of money, on top of the powder coating. I was going to do the same thing, but figured it was to much expense and trouble to go through if I wanted a new look anyway. The powder coating will last awhile with a sand blast and powder coat, but would eventually fall off due to the chrome peeling under the surface. Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

It's not too expensive to powder coat or paint, I work at a plating shop in cali, and if it's not too bad on the pitting it will go away after chrome stripping it. And powder coating is the best thing to do if you want to go with black. You will be spending around 700 after it's all done or just buy some new wheels.

Personally, if I were looking at spending a good chunk of money on rims I already had, I would have to really love them. If you don't, sell em and use that cash with what you were going to spend getting yours where you want them and just buy some you really like. You could pobably get some black sss replicas for that imo.