Got The Trans Apart

2bfast

DSC03188.jpg

For all you that dont know what happened, bout a month ago I took the truck out to hit the nitrous for the first time with a 50 shot. Armed the system, purged the lines, and let it rip. When the trans tried to shift to 2nd, it slammed and then lost forward gears. I guess it tried to shift to 2nd and for some reason couldnt when commanded then hit the rev limiter. I found out I had at 1st and reverse at least so I limped it home. Got the trans out last weekend and got inside this weekend and found this:

Got the forward clutch sprag assembly out and found it turned both ways. For all that dont know, this is a one way sprag which means its only supposed to turn one way and lock the other when applied (1st-3rd). Took the assembly apart and found the dog bones in the sprag sheared off and one of the races broke

IMAG0067.jpg

DSC03191.jpg

I did have the gear selector in 3 as this applies the overrun clutches and takes some stress off the sprag but I guess it was too much lol This was also an HD double caged 29 element piece. Luckely there isnt any metal fragments throughout the oil system as they got trapped in the sprag assmebly and the races held it all in. Nothing in the pan nor the filter. All the clutches look cherry.

I did notice this when I took out the 3/4 pack.

Clutch

DSC03192.jpg

Steel

DSC03193.jpg

When I built this unit I put in Rebestos blue clutches which has a softer clutch material to minimize slip and Koleen coated steels which helps the clutches grab more as well. Can def see the coating in the clutch material. At first sight I thought they were smoked but they smell fine and closer look the material is perfect. Other than a gasket/seal kit, and new sprag obviously I MIGHT replace this pack with new blue clutches and non coated steels this time. Im sure they are fine but the 3/4 pack is a very common failure in a 60E so why not.

Just thought I would share

Edited by 2BFAST (see edit history)

ah the ever-so-poor 4L65e... designed (other than electric valve body, TCC, etc) in the late 80s/early 90s for cars with 200 hp at best... its too bad it took GM over 2 decades to replace it with a modern trans. it seems no matter who builds one or with what parts you build, if your making power and your drag racing or dogging the car even rarely- KABOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

good news that all you needed was the forward sprag, you got off easy! :jester: ive started looking into what would be needed to swap to the 6L85/90e... swap some paddles in for the "tap up tap down" feature they have :D

I've gone through two sets of the blue plate specials from Raybestos before switching to the red ones because I was told they were "better".

Luckily you had no debris and it's a cheap part. So how long is it gonna take you to polish everything up, get it back in, and get us a video of a sweet pass? :pop:

It be nice to see you take on Shaun down the track :squintnoeswerdrun:

John, I had a similar idea for when my truck gets stripped apart again. What else besides modding the cross member, driveshafts, harness, controller, and reluctor wheel, do you think would have to be done? I'm not worried about the custom work, just what parts I might need.

I've gone through two sets of the blue plate specials from Raybestos before switching to the red ones because I was told they were "better".

My 3/4s havnt failed, as I said they look that way cause of the Koleen coating on the steel. I guess I wasnt expecting them to look like that but when you think about the concept of the coating thats what its supposed to do. I would put blues back in any day

Edited by 2BFAST (see edit history)

ive started looking into what would be needed to swap to the 6L85/90e... swap some paddles in for the "tap up tap down" feature they have :D

Tci makes a kit with paddle shifters for our trucks... They sold a whole tranny swap but. I think they also sell just the paddle module and PCM needed for it...

-Rob

Edited by BlkSSnCpt (see edit history)

whats a transmission?

ROFL G/L Brian