Cat Replacement Advice, Help

So the check engine light came on my Tahoe a couple weeks ago, found out that my Cats are plugged up (the Tahoe has 141k).

The first thing i thought was: "oh i will get someone to cut them off, knock all the junk out of the cats and put the stock ones back in but empty, and get a whetley tune."

Well I checked around and none of the muffler shops in town will cut my cats off. I dont know anyone who has the ability to cut them off, and the only guy i knew that could went out of business and sold all his equipment.

So I figured I would just wait to get them fixed (its just going to effect my mpg's). well the other day i tried driving up a hill and the tahoe almost completly died, the check engine light started flashing. So I need to get these fixed ASAP.

So I came across these My link

Does anyone know if kits like these are fairly easy to install. Its seems fairly simple, just unbold the existing setup and bolt in the new one?

Or should i just try to find some universal cats kinda like these, that will fit my Tahoe? My link but then i would have to pay someone to replace my cats

Check this site out, more cat options then the link you provided....

http://www.catalyticonverters.com/shop/?N=9190+9987+4294962488+1588+11921

OE General Motors Catalytic Converters from GM Parts Direct will run you $536.22 before shipping........

Edited by Fireman31 (see edit history)

...So I figured I would just wait to get them fixed (its just going to effect my mpg's)...

:nono: I thought that as well, but several members here have had plugged cats destroy their engines - don't drive with plugged cats, get them removed or replaced. Another far cheaper option (since you already mentioned removal) is to drop the Y-pipe yourself, and bust the ceramic/platinum brick out yourself with a 2-foot long piece of 3/8" rebar and then reinstall the pipe, you should be able to reuse the metal O-ring collector gaskets so this is a freebie. Then you just have to get the rear O2 sensors disabled via tune or buy a couple "rear O2 sensor emulators". Of course this makes the vehicle a "smog bastard" so I would not try to resell it without first restoring the cats to make the vehicle 100% legal, or else the future buyer might have room to come back on you for 'repairs'. But in the immediate timeframe, so that you have a functioning daily driver I would gut the cats at least temporarily so you can have time to budget/plan how you want to handle the issue.

Another alternative is to get a Y-Pipe from a junkyard, but if I remember right it may be against the law for a wrecking yard to retail used catalytic converters (in California it was against the law when I lived there) but I would pursue that alternative as well.

Mr. P.

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)