1Badsilvy'S Build

Mike Frey

Hey guys, well my truck got hit by and asphalt truck the other day :( not actually hit just he had a load and it came flying out when i passed him..

so i get 1,200 in insurance money to do what i want with!:) i just painted the truck this year in autobody class at my school.

now on with the build...

Motor is a 99 5.3L 120k

with the money i am getting a Custom Ground Comp Cam, Chromly hardened pushrods, Dual Springs, and LS7 Lifters. also a ASP Underdrive pulley Kit, 3000 Stall, and MSD Wires and plugs. Not much of a build but it is for me since im only 17 and having some buddys help along with the build. ill post pics up during the build.

Thanks, Mike

Hey guys, well my truck got hit by and asphalt truck the other day :( not actually hit just he had a load and it came flying out when i passed him..

so i get 1,200 in insurance money to do what i want with!:) i just painted the truck this year in autobody class at my school.

now on with the build...

Motor is a 99 5.3L 120k

with the money i am getting a Custom Ground Comp Cam, Chromly hardened pushrods, Dual Springs, and LS7 Lifters. also a ASP Underdrive pulley Kit, 3000 Stall, and MSD Wires and plugs. Not much of a build but it is for me since im only 17 and having some buddys help along with the build. ill post pics up during the build.

Thanks, Mike

sounds like you got a foot in the right direction! my only recomendation is that you do a posi in it with gears and the girdle. as my 2006 silverados stock rear end just shat the bed with just basic bolt ons. also i would look into adding some more transmission mods than just the converter to help getting that power to the ground...but this is just me..a crazy canadian. haha

sounds like you got a foot in the right direction! my only recomendation is that you do a posi in it with gears and the girdle. as my 2006 silverados stock rear end just shat the bed with just basic bolt ons. also i would look into adding some more transmission mods than just the converter to help getting that power to the ground...but this is just me..a crazy canadian. haha

Or just do the true trac... the factory GM gears can easily power a 5000lb truck into the low 11s to high 10s without the issue you had, and to be honest the crap aluminum girdle is more trouble than they are worth. If you want to add some strength add a solid pinion spacer instead of the crush sleeve. It will keep the pinion from walking on the ring gear.

the truck is a posi. its got 3.42 gears. and the transmission has a transgo HD2 Shift kit, 2nd gear vette servo and 4th gear billet servo. thanks for the info tho man!

the truck is a posi. its got 3.42 gears. and the transmission has a transgo HD2 Shift kit, 2nd gear vette servo and 4th gear billet servo. thanks for the info tho man!

if it is a factory limited slip that means you have the G80 in it.... I would pull it out before it takes out the entire rear axle...

if it is a factory limited slip that means you have the G80 in it.... I would pull it out before it takes out the entire rear axle...

is there anyway to tell if it is the G80 foresure? and should i even bother putting gears into it? or wait and buy a whole new rear end before i put gears in it man?

is there anyway to tell if it is the G80 foresure? and should i even bother putting gears into it? or wait and buy a whole new rear end before i put gears in it man?

if it is a factory limited slip or posi then yes it is a G80... you can pop the cover and take a pic and post it and I will tell you for sure. Gears are totally up to you... the GM gears hold up well, but if you want a taller gear the time to do it would be when you replace the carrier.

if it is a factory limited slip or posi then yes it is a G80... you can pop the cover and take a pic and post it and I will tell you for sure. Gears are totally up to you... the GM gears hold up well, but if you want a taller gear the time to do it would be when you replace the carrier.

alright thanks for all the info man