Is It Too Late To Start Dumping Money In My Truck At 122K?

dgrov3r

I just got my SS with 121k and have put 1k on it. The tranny hasnt been touched so sometime someday it will need to be serviced which will be pricey. In you guys opinions is there a limit i should put on what i put into the truck because of the high miles? Im not sure if im wording this right. Wheels and tires are a definate because they can be sold but would you bother start

doing the motor, body word ect? Let me know what you think!

If you plan on keeping the truck for years to come and want to customize and enjoy it as you wish, then no matter how many miles are on it, it is worth it IMO.

Say you do put money into it by building up a motor, doing the trans, and doing the cosmetic work, it would be like having a new truck anyway.

Only thing I highly recomend is keeping that paint in pristo mint condition. Their is someone with 250k on his truck in the Northeast. Im with everyone else, if you plan on keeping it for a long time start modding it as some parts are beginning to wear. Might want to start off with handling, like some new sway bars and bushings, and shocks (Bilstein or Edelbrock IAS).

Thanks that's what I needed to here, I tend to have a money spending issue when it comes to vehicles

I'm anal, get them mechanically perfect and everything worked out, a couple additions wheels ect and

then get bored and sell them. Anyway, the SS is my favorite and a keeper and it has 120 but its a one

owner and it was an older gentlemen and it was BABIED and he had ocd big time the thing is spotless

and the 3m autobahn did wonders for the paint but it had done its job so i took it off the sides and mirrors

before i polished truck and it really pops now the stuff was getting dull, i left it on the front end, rockers, and door sills.

Also, I just did the exhaust ( muffler and back ) for now and i want to buy an intake and then a tune and it

should be decent correct? Any other basic MUST HAVES? Also what kind of intakes do you guys run and

what is the best bang for the buck intake/bang for the buck tune. I dont need a special one just the premade ones

I would imagine would be cheaper and fine. The truck is my DD

Volant Powercore Intake with ram air tube. Nanofiber and oilless intake.

I would also add a 160 thermostat to your list, thatll make your engine run alot cooler=quicker throttle response. In my opinion you pay for what you get, the Volant is $360, but you could always pick up an AEM, K&N, Spectre, Airraid for a little more than $200. I have a big preference for that Volant Powercore, certain features that draw me to it.

I agree with everyone its never too late. Im at right arounf 90K on my 03 right now and the way I look at it is I plan on keeping the truck for a long time and plan to mod it more down the road when my wallet lets me do more and eventually plan on building the motor and trans, which in that case everything would be fresh. Mileage is just a number as long as the truck has been taken care of!

Just start looking on here performancetrucks.net and ebay. U can find all kinds of good deals. Also DONT skimp on a tune. Get a custom one like Black bear Wheatley Zippy, Or Slowhawk down in bridgewater ma can tune it. I waited till I had 100K on the truck before the tune and let me tell you I wish that I didnt wait so long. The truck now has 137 and I still take it to shows.

i would also recommend hiding your wallet we WILL help you in going broke.!!!! LOL

Well 360 is a little to steep for me im a 3rd year apprentice electrician and make 16/hr so whats your opinion out of the 200 250 range?

[/quote

Go to ebay and search chevy silverado intake there should be some around 70 bucks they look just like the AEM brute force intake but way way cheaper, then once you get it I wold reccomend tossing the filter it comes with to the side and order a K&N to replace is since thats the most important part and for 70 bucks Id question the quality of the filter but the rest of it is just fine. I personally bought a spectre off summit for like $140 which is also exactly the same as the AEM brute force but alot less expensive then just swapped to a K&N filter and it works perfect. I cant see spending $400 on an intake thats alot of money to spend for the gains you get from it, Id go the cheaper intake route with a K&N filter and then save the rest of the money for something else! And as far as a toon like said before dont skimp on one! I see your from NH so Id reccomend bringing it to Slowhawk in east bridgewater MA and have him street tune it, I gota mail order tune from Nelson Performance and im not really happy with it at all so Im going to have Slowhawk street tune mine as well, but I have also heard great things about Wheatley, Black Bear, and Zippy too so those would also be good choices!