Need Some Thoughts On A Low Idle

Jordan836

I posted a long time ago probably around last fall about my 03 SS having a random low idle I thought it might be the MAF might have some filter oil on it so I cleaned that and then I didnt notice it for a while. It kind of started to do it here and there early this spring again so I decided to pay a little more attention. Mainly where I notice it is sometimes when I come to a stop in a drive thru or at a stop light my pacesetter LTs rattle on the passenger side frame rail and its kind of annoying so I usually just give it a little gas to raise the rpms up a little and the rattle goes away, but then the next time I stop the rpms drop to around 380 or so, then say when im in a drive thru when I drive up to the microphone and my header rattles ill give it a little gas to get it to go away and then by the time I get up to the window and its just idling the rpms drop to around 380 and it almost sounds like the truck is going to stall. Then Ive also noticed if I drive on a really bumpy road by the time I come to a stop the rpms will drop way down too. Ive had it be so bad that driving through a parking lot with stop signs I almost have to drive with 2 feet because it feels like the trucks going to stall. Anyone else had this problem or might know what it could be?

:withstupid:

The truck is your daily driver correct? Reason I ask I had the same problem. My truck would sit for weeks sometime and I had to relearn the PCM by driving it 10 miles.

We should have a big get together and have a seafoam smokeout, I'll have the open house :thumbs:

The throttle body is clean I just cleaned it in the spring thinking that was it MAF is clean also. My mods are Pacesetter LTs no cats 3in 2 into 1 Y pipe with a magnaflow muffler a CAI transgo HD-2 shift kit corvette servos sonnax billet 4th servo and it is tuned. But ive been thinking its the tune for a while. Its got a Nelson performance tune I had him do a tune for my other regular silverado and loved it but I am not happy at all with the one he did for my SS and the customer service sucks over there I email and call with no response so since he locks his PCMs I bought a stock PCM off of a member on here and since im in CT im just going to have Slowhawk street tune it and see if that helps. And as far as the fuel injection system I cleaned it out with seafoam late last fall early winter before I drove to FL so unless it could get gunked up that fast I dont think it could be that either. And yes its my daily driver, and its weird because somedays I dont have a problem at all.

Ive only had the truck about a year and I personally havent changed the fuel filter yet but that also crossed my mind along with the the fuel pump. Is there really anyway to test to see if the pump is going bad? I have an aeroforce interceptor Im not sure if that will tell me my fuel pressure or not but if it did would that give me an idea on what might be going on?

Im not great with this technical stuff, but I would go change that filter asap, or find out when it was last done. If it hasnt been changed in a long time, its possibly clogged, and I think that would mess with the fuel pump.

Edit - Id personally go with a WIX fuel filter. The last one I did was AC Delco but changing to WIX.

Edited by 03mass (see edit history)

Ya I will definitley look into that. How much of a pain is it to change the fuel filter? I think ive read on here that its not to big of a job. Any thing I should really pay attention to when I do it or anything I have to watch out for?

Its shouldnt take more than 15-20 minutes. I dropped my truck off at a dealership where one member here has worked on my truck longer than I have owned it. I just walked around the parking lot, saw a monte carlo SS and cobalt SS. Next thing I see is my truck parked outside waiting.

Wish I could help ya with info on how to do it, I just know its not hard to do and quick.

Ya from what I remember reading it wasnt to big of a job. I have a really good relationship with a dealer down the street from me and Im super super busy with work and dont really have the time to do it myself so I might just drop it off there and have them take care of it. Now say it is my fuel filter causing the issues would that have affected my pump as well to the point where it would be a good idea to replace that at the same time? Id imagine its got to be one of those 2 things or something with my tune thats causing it.

I also have a great relationship with my dealership, they let me watch repairs and my fam has been going their for over 40 years.

I would ask them to do the fuel filter and then test drive it. If that doesnt work, I would go with the cheaper of the 2: new fuel pump or tuned by Slowhawk. If the dealer says you have a good pump, I guess it might be the tune?

Do you drive with a full tank of gas or do you try to keep the truck a little bit lighter and keep 1/2 tank to 1/4 tank of gas? Their was a thread about the fuel pumps shitting themselves because they would overheat (something like that) and fry themselves if the vehicle was ran on low amounts of gas in the tank continuously.

Nelson locks his tunes correct? Just be carefull the dealership doesnt flash your PCM, I think even a locked tune can be flashed their was a thread about that awhile back.

Ya i think ill just try the fuel filter first and see if they can tell me if my pump is good or not, I plan on having slowhawk retune it regarless in the next few weeks. But ya nelson does lock his tunes so I had to buy a stock PCM to have slowhawk street tune it, but I had this same dealership do a crank relearn after I put my LTs on and told them to make sure they didnt flash the PCM and they seemed to do a good job so hopefully they wont mess anything up. Itd be nice to not have to replace the pump right now even though I dont think they are to to expensive, but I drive from CT to FL every winter to race dirt bikes so Id hate to have the fuel pump go out on the way down there so I think if its questionable ill just have them replace it that way I wont have to worry about it.