New Guy From Anchorage Alaska!

Guest jasonhensley22

Nice to see you on the site, Jason. Though, I am not sure I can handle seeing my baby with another guy! I was doing fine with this whole thing...now you show up parading my beautiful baby around. :laugh: Treat her right or I may just have to hunt you down! :crackup:

Glad to see you are enjoying the SS. Be careful with the tint though...after my 3rd ticket @ $150, I removed the 20% I had on her.

Edited by Lefty (see edit history)

Guest jasonhensley22

I didn't know you are on here! Oh man I wouldn't be able to see my baby with someone else, it'd kill me! Oddly enough my 2010 F350 Lariat was bought buy some Pizza Hut delivery guy, and guess who delivers all my pizzas...yep, hes always teasing me. Anyways, so far the truck has been pretty good. She gets a full detail every week and I have made some changes, but nothing big. I swapped out the K&N for a GMPP intake, tinted the windows, returned the grill and rotor coolers to stock, and did the hide-the-antenna mod. I'm deciding on the exhaust now, I know I want ARH LT headers, but can't decide if I want to put hi flo cats or a resonator and keep the Corsa system, I love the way it sounds! Hey what lowering kit did you go with? 1/3 doesn't sound right to me, but I don't know anything about lowering kits... dunno.gif

Nice to see you on the site, Jason. Though, I am not sure I can handle seeing my baby with another guy! I was doing fine with this whole thing...now you show up parading my beautiful baby around. :laugh: Treat her right or I may just have to hunt you down! :crackup:

Glad to see you are enjoying the SS. Be careful with the tint though...after my 3rd ticket @ $150, I removed the 20% I had on her.

Been here since 10 days after buying the SS back in 2004. The wealth of knowledge from some of the long timers on this site is incredible...AND, they are always willing to lend their assistance. Something I have found that sets this set apart from any vehicle forum I've ever been a part of.

I'm glad you swapped the grilles back to normal...something I had been wanting to do for a long time. Are you putting the "Shopman SS bowtie" back in or are you sticking with the golden oldie? The airbox looks nice too.

As far as the lowering goes, I used belltech shackles on the rear for nearly 3" and adjusted the torsion bars in the front for a little over 1.5" to level out the rake (typically referred to as a 2/3 drop).

I'm glad to see you're having fun with it! As much as I like the SD, it's not the SS. I still have the "should have never sold the SS" days quite frequently.

:cheers:

That's awesome from one long time member to another good member! cheers.gif

*edit, Also on another note that's exactly how my truck is lowered, rear shackles from Belltech and I turned down the torsion bars in the front just like you did Lefty. Works and looks great.

Edited by Matt* (see edit history)

Guest jasonhensley22

Been here since 10 days after buying the SS back in 2004. The wealth of knowledge from some of the long timers on this site is incredible...AND, they are always willing to lend their assistance. Something I have found that sets this set apart from any vehicle forum I've ever been a part of.

I'm glad you swapped the grilles back to normal...something I had been wanting to do for a long time. Are you putting the "Shopman SS bowtie" back in or are you sticking with the golden oldie? The airbox looks nice too.

As far as the lowering goes, I used belltech shackles on the rear for nearly 3" and adjusted the torsion bars in the front for a little over 1.5" to level out the rake (typically referred to as a 2/3 drop).

I'm glad to see you're having fun with it! As much as I like the SD, it's not the SS. I still have the "should have never sold the SS" days quite frequently.

:cheers:

Yeah I was on here quite a bit when I was thinking about an SS, reading posts and what not. I went and took a look at ol' Matt's Dads truck before yours, but it wasn't in as good of condition as yours, and oddly enough some guy from Fairbanks bought it, I wonder if it was the same guy that wanted to buy yours! Wouldn't that be funny.

Switching the grills back to normal was the top of my priority list, but it cost a fortune, probably around $1600 for all the new parts and then the new grill had to be painted which wasn't cheap either. In regards to the bowtie, I sold it with the old grill because it didn't match the paint very well, it seemed faded? I am thinking about ordering a new one and seeing how it looks paint-wise.

See I was wondering about those torsion bars. The truck seems to swerve a little bit on the roads. Is there a way I can return the bars back to normal and get new springs instead? dunno.gif

-Matt* feel free to input as well!

Edited by jasonhensley22 (see edit history)

Belated welcome from L.A. (oh and I will be expecting to collect any middle man fees) :laugh:

If you wanna go lower, get some rear drop hangers for another 2"

get some spindles for the front, after installing spindles you may have to put your torsion keys back up to stock height in order to allign properly only gaining another 1/2 maybe 1" from the spindles, if you wanna go lower in front then get some lowering torsion keys, adjust down and this should get you 3" in front, turning down your stock t-keys changes your front end geometry and you can experince what you say as it seems to swerve or pull or follow the road lines(know what i mean?) Adding spindles and returning your t-keys to stock height will allow for a true front end allignment. Our trucks don't have springs.

That would get you a good 3/4 drop.

Take a look at McGaughy's, Belltech and DJM. Each has their own lowering method based on design and pieces used ie:

Belltech and McG's use spindles/lowering keys to lower front

DJM uses A-arms to achieve a 2,3, or 4" drop up front instead of spindles like McG's and B.tech.

To tie all this together you wil need eventually a good set of drop shocks as well.

I say the above as a statement not a biased judgement, do some research and make the best decision for your truck and future plans and ask questions. We will always be here to help you. expect sometimes an answer of "use the search button" which is a good idea to do if you need an immediate answer. You chose the greatest truck, best forum and best people to be around. Enjoy....

-Aaron

http://tbssowners.com/store/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=12

http://www.mcgaughys.com/truck_new.html

Edited by Bad Ass Silvy (see edit history)

Guest jasonhensley22

Wow, now thats an answer! See I don't want to go lower, I love the height is has now, but i've heard that tuning the torsion bars that much throws out the alignment a lot, so I was thinking of leaving the rear as it is, and getting some different springs up front and returning the bars to level out the truck. That way it's the same height it is now and the bars wont be turned so much.

I would place a bet that the kid from FAI is the same kid. He told me he had another in his sights.

As far as the alignment, I just had one done less than 7K miles before selling it to you. What you'll find is that the alignment is within stock specifications. I have found that the slight leftward swerve you are referring to is mainly due to the road ruts as it drives pretty damn straight on newly paved road.

If you wanted to change the configuration of the lowering in the front, you would have to go with spindles, readjust the torsion bars (which would still be lower than stock), possibly replace the keys with lowering keys, and then have an alignment done. You may even consider a set of belltech Nitro 2 drop shocks (which was my next upgrade had you not bought it from me).

Guest jasonhensley22

I would place a bet that the kid from FAI is the same kid. He told me he had another in his sights.

As far as the alignment, I just had one done less than 7K miles before selling it to you. What you'll find is that the alignment is within stock specifications. I have found that the slight leftward swerve you are referring to is mainly due to the road ruts as it drives pretty damn straight on newly paved road.

If you wanted to change the configuration of the lowering in the front, you would have to go with spindles, readjust the torsion bars (which would still be lower than stock), possibly replace the keys with lowering keys, and then have an alignment done. You may even consider a set of belltech Nitro 2 drop shocks (which was my next upgrade had you not bought it from me).

Thanks for the info on the alignment. Now those Belltech Nitro 2 drop shocks... those were going to go in the front? Because didn't you say you already had some in the rear? Also the truck squeaks when i turn (like in a parking lot) i'm guessing the tie rods might need to be replaced?

Thanks for the info on the alignment. Now those Belltech Nitro 2 drop shocks... those were going to go in the front? Because didn't you say you already had some in the rear? Also the truck squeaks when i turn (like in a parking lot) i'm guessing the tie rods might need to be replaced?

That's my next upgrade, belltech shocks all around mine are pretty worn. Is the squeak when you turn the wheel back and forth or only when your moving and turn the tires?

Edited by Matt* (see edit history)

Guest jasonhensley22

That's my next upgrade, belltech shocks all around mine are pretty worn. The is the squeak when you turn the wheel back and forth or only when your moving and turn the tires?

I notice it when im driving low speeds that it squeaks. Hey we should do our new shocks at the same time!

Me too... I don't know a lot about suspension so I don't even know which ones I would need.

I was looking at getting the Belltech Street Performance shocks awhile ago because I read some other guys had used them with great succes on lowered trucks, and thats what there designed for too. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/99-06-SILVERADO-BELLTECH-STREET-PERFORMANCE-SHOCKS-SET-/270793420559?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Submodel%3ASS|Model%3ASilverado+1500&hash=item3f0c8baf0f

Sent that guy a message on ebay to see what shipping would be to AK.