Electrical Problem

This is on a 2003 SS, and it seems to have a history of electrical problems. We inherited the truck from my brother who is now deceased, and when we got it we noticed that the battery could not hold a charge and that he had a booster pack with the vehicle to compensate for this (mind you he died with a brain tumor growing...we think he wasn't in his right mind, hence why this wasn't fixed). In an attempt to fix the problem we put a new battery in it. This still wouldn't solve the problem. A few months after we had it tested to find out that both the alternator and the battery (the one that was just put in it) were bad. The alternator and the battery were replaced. A few months ago we started to get a "Battery Not Charging" alert, and a battery light, as well as a voltmeter reading below 14 volts (the usual operating reading). This went on for a few months with minimal disturbance. Then recently, the reading would go all the way down to 9 volts, and stay there. Yesterday the reading stayed there, I lost all electrical instruments, and the truck stopped running. I was able to jump it, and run for a few miles (almost made it home) before the truck shut down again.

In an attempt to fix the problem, my father and I started to troubleshoot some things. We went first to the battery connections; found that the negative terminal was heavily corroded. We cleaned that up, and charged the battery. After a charge and a test run, we noticed the behavior improved but the error still came up. We swapped batteries (put the one in that we originally took out, thinking it might still have some life in it). After a charge of that battery, the behavior still seemed to improve but alas, it went right back to the 9 volt reading and almost shut down on me. The only things we can think to do now, are to run a BATT-40 test on it to check the charging system, and to possibly replace the battery and/or alternator, again.

Has anyone had these kinds of problems with their truck? My brother did install a personal computer in the truck, and not long after we inherited it we disconnected the power going to it to prevent any kind of electrical disturbance; would this installation have any devastation to the charging/electrical system? Any advice would help greatly - thanks!

it seems these newer vehicle are all about there grounds. every time ive have had a problem with my trucks electrical system it has been because of a ground wire. id check all your grounds from the battery to the block then from the block to the chassis and frame. its free and never hurts to check it out. good luck electrical can be a pain in the butt.

also if you have a start/ generator shop i would stop by and talk to the and see if they can point you into any direction. i was having issues with my truck to i took it to my local stater/ generator shop and he had my problem fixed with 5 minutes and he didn't charge me anything.

Edited by shawnss (see edit history)

I am with Shawn.

The terminals can look ok on the outside, but corrode on the inside of the sheathing. I would check and clean all electrical terminals from alt to batt, grounds, and to starter. Also check the electrical box next to the alt that houses the + wires for broken, loose, corroded wires.

The new alt can be bad also. I would take it to the parts store where you got it and have them do another charging system check.