Thinking Of Going Back To 3500 Stall

Guys I cant help now that my tranny is fresh and I have a nice big cooler on it but want to go back to my 3500 stall. The truck seemed so much more responsive and more fun to drive. This truck doesnt make any power till 3 grand and that 3500 stall had me in the sweet spot at all times.

Talk me out of it please! But the stall I took out was designed for this truck, and the 2000-2500 stall I put in is just.........boring...

list of mods?

stock stall is around 1800-2000 think, its been a while. TB is around 2600 i think.

I have a 4500 in my truck now, love it but it can get anoying to. When i just want to pick up a little speed and the converter unlocks and goes to 3500 right away...makes me feel sorry for the family car next to my exhaust pipe

list of mods?

stock stall is around 1800-2000 think, its been a while. TB is around 2600 i think.

I have a 4500 in my truck now, love it but it can get anoying to. When i just want to pick up a little speed and the converter unlocks and goes to 3500 right away...makes me feel sorry for the family car next to my exhaust pipe

mod list

[RWHP: 359.19]

[RWTQ: 332.97]

Texas Speed Cam (Grind: TSP 233/239 V.2 113)

Pacesetter Longtube Headers

Dumped Y Pipe

full TBSS 90mm Intake

Also I have a stock rear end and with the 3500 stall the damn thing was always locking up in parking lots which was so annoying, but I dont feel like spending money on a true trac at this time, if that will fix the problem... I am loving my truck actually being maneuverable in parking lots without feeling like im breaking something with the 2500 stall... So I guess Im starting to talk myself out of it???

Your set-up is taylor made for a higher stall than what you have currently. A 3600 stall speed will be a nice upgrade. With tuning, you can prevent lock-up in first and second gear and have lock up in 3rd...higher than say 55MPH or even only lock in OD. It took me a while to find a good lock up range with my 4400+ converter.

Your set-up is taylor made for a higher stall than what you have currently. A 3600 stall speed will be a nice upgrade. With tuning, you can prevent lock-up in first and second gear and have lock up in 3rd...higher than say 55MPH or even only lock in OD. It took me a while to find a good lock up range with my 4400+ converter.

Thats all you had to say! Great info, thanks!

QUESTION: will a higher stall burn up a transmission or is that threat sufficiently mitigated with the big tranny oil cooler? I am here with my builder and he is advising against reinstalling the old stall. I told him I think there are guys online running it just fine...

How many miles have y'all ran with a 3500 or higher stall? I live in west Texas where these days the triple digits are brutal and this is my dd / work truck... want to make the right decison. I realy felt that stall burnt up my old transmission but now I got the cooler so...

with the cooler you should be fine, granted its doing its job. does your truck have a tranny temp gauge? if so just keep an eye on the temps and shut it down if they ever get too high, anything over 200 and id start to worry... Also, what brand converter is the 3500 you were running? if its just some joe blow no name converter that could have contributed to your tranny issues..a converter is not something you want to cheap out on

With the proper cooler it wouldn't burn the trans up from heat. In a 95° day I'm running 160° trans temps with a 4500 stall. It will hit harder on a launch and may break parts that way......but that's the risk you take for bettering your et.

Your current stall, well, I wouldn't run it on a 222 duration cam. No wonder you said it feels like a dog. I have a 235 tsp cam and the 4500 should be a tad bigger to get my 60 times were I think they should be and were I think the cam needs it. You also don't have the compression to back up that cam either, I'm thinking you need to run a 4000 or a little larger to get the truck into its sweet spot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Edited by shadowsniper3006 (see edit history)

QUESTION: will a higher stall burn up a transmission or is that threat sufficiently mitigated with the big tranny oil cooler? I am here with my builder and he is advising against reinstalling the old stall. I told him I think there are guys online running it just fine...

How many miles have y'all ran with a 3500 or higher stall? I live in west Texas where these days the triple digits are brutal and this is my dd / work truck... want to make the right decison. I realy felt that stall burnt up my old transmission but now I got the cooler so...

If you ran that old converter when the last tranny went out, I wouldn't put it in until you got it cut open and cleaned. That is prob why the trans builder suggested you not to install the old one. What trans cooler do you have? That will also determine the life of the trans as the hotter the trans gets, the sooner it fails.

Also like Krambo said about tuning for safe lock up operation, and drivability. Your converter when tuned for it last time could have compounded the failure of the trans, or been the soul factor in it.

I bought a TruCool 44k or whatever tranny cooler. The old stall had a 2 year warranty, so I was wanting to send it off for warranty repair or refresh and then install it. I need to find out the brand today and get started on that...

I bought a TruCool 44k or whatever tranny cooler. The old stall had a 2 year warranty, so I was wanting to send it off for warranty repair or refresh and then install it. I need to find out the brand today and get started on that...

what brand was your old stall?