Timing Gears

Guys I recently heard a 68 chevelle with a pete/Jake's gear drive on it a got to thinking if anyone on here tried it on their SS? or if it would even work due to the knock sensor? .

Secondly I hear these things are annoying as hell after a while.

Thirdly I read there really are no benefits to running the gear drive as far as horsepower goes, what do you guys think?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Gear drive does not play well with the knock sensors...

sent from my thunderbolt

have you tried the belt drive yet on a dyno? I've been looking into them for a couple years now. All the circle track guys up here run them on their LS motors, but i don't understand why they would make more hp, or be even be better?

No i haven't, I just know about the gear drives because of a class that I took. The instructor said that they where a bitch and a half to tune because to all the different harmonics they created in the valve train and block. Timing became very unpredictable and reliable. they basically had to completely eliminate the knock sensors and that isn't to good on a street motor. I have heard of the belt, but not sure on the maintenance and service life...