Undercoating & Rustproofing

ser13ant

I am using Bill Hirsch's Miracle Paint.

It is alot like POR products, but reduces the steps to get the same finish and protection. It is a moisture cured paint, that can be applied over rust, and cures from the inside out to protect and stop rust from forming.

http://www.hirschauto.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MIR-QUART

I am using Bill Hirsch's Miracle Paint.

It is alot like POR products, but reduces the steps to get the same finish and protection. It is a moisture cured paint, that can be applied over rust, and cures from the inside out to protect and stop rust from forming.

http://www.hirschaut...umber=MIR-QUART

So if we use this paint, can it be the undercoating also? Or do we need to undercoat too?

It doesn't help. I'll say that differently, I've not seen a single treated truck where it made a difference. I've worked on a couple trucks from the northeast that had been "treated" with POR-15, and was NOT impressed. There is nothing wrong with the coating, it's fine - the issue is that there is no possible way to cover what you have to. Examples -

One truck still rusted internally inside the rocker sills, rust trails were pouring out because water spray can get inside the rockers & other substantial floor areas and this truck had only 45K-miles on it and the owner sweared it was garaged in the winter but still there was rust trails from innards of the rocker sills.

We took the bed off one truck to do a major project, and discovered all the fuel lines were rusted after 3-years - even worse, because the fuel tank has a sump where the pump retaining ring is it catches road deicer and holds it long-term, everything metallic at the top of the tank was corroded/rusted to hell, it was just shot. This is an area you cannot apply protectant to unless you remove the bed.

We disassembled the front suspension and broke fastners, because road deicer had worked it's way into the threads - the prior owner had not coated any fastner with POR-15. Anything made of cast iron (spindles, suspension) were rusted worse than a 15-year old BBQ grate.

My point is - going to the effort to apply POR-15 or similar will not help at all unless you do a thorough job, the kind of job that is almost a complete vehicle teardown. Just taking a weekend and slapping the paint on the wheel bearing caps and rear wheel wells does nothing. Deicing spray crawls everywhere, it gets up inside the inner structure of the bed (where the stake pockets are), it gets behind the bumpers, it gets between the cladding and body, it seeps in between spot welded panels, it gets all over the motor, all over the suspension, that crap is insidious.

The magnesium chloride deicer used today is bad bad bad stuff - if you drive in it, you can just assume the car will have to be thrown away, it won't last beyond 12-years. Get a beater, don't drive the truck through the deicer, and even in the spring until the rains wash that from the roads I would avoid driving in the wet road spray. And spend lots of time on your belly at the carwash with the high pressure hose rinsing all that crap off when you do have to drive through it.

Mr. P.

:squintnoeswerdrun: Im with Mr. P, unless you completely take the truck apart and put it back together, its worthless. I had a quote for 15 grand to take apart the truck, treat it with Por-15, and then reassemble. I didnt trust the workers as they just saw $$$ looking at me as most people would not do this, they would just rust out the vehicle and get a newer one.

go the oil spray route every year ill take an undercoating gun and stick it in a drum of oil and spray the hell out of everything underneath then i also have small holes drilled in my rockers doors inside my bed above the wheel well and then ill pump all that full of oil and transfluid till its all dripping out and my truck is a 95 with 166000 on it and it still looks brand new

go the oil spray route every year ill take an undercoating gun and stick it in a drum of oil and spray the hell out of everything underneath then i also have small holes drilled in my rockers doors inside my bed above the wheel well and then ill pump all that full of oil and transfluid till its all dripping out and my truck is a 95 with 166000 on it and it still looks brand new

thumbsup.gif

I'm a por-15 fan, but fish oil or a wax product is the best, you just have to keep re-applying often.

And no matter what, pinch welds seems rust out from the inside, no coating is gonna prevent that.

I have an old Chevy Short Box that I don't drive anymore. I used to coat the seems with an oil based rustproofer. The trucks been parked for 7 years(since I got the SSS). No rust yet.

I probably have one of the last rust free trucks that style left in the area.dbanana.gif

I did this same thing with my 94 Blazer. The way those things were built, they all rotted away in the rear wheel wells and the entire rear finders. When I traded mine in in 2001 on a new Blazer, the body still looked like brand spanking new, the chevy dealer I traded in at was very impressed with how good of shape it was still in.