3/4 Drop Squeeking Issues.

THATGUYCRUZ

If you replaced anything with polyurethane that is what is what makes that noise.. yu need to properly grease all polturethane on any contact points it makes with anything else. If you guys did lower control arms and did not hand grease (using your fingers) to grease all contact points it will make some noise.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

correct poly can be noisy and greased often.

the other thing that comes to mind is that the a arm bushings are over tightened , iirc its a strict 35 ft lbs . more than that will not let them travel up and down without killing the bushing and binding up . applying a good amount of grease on them on install as well is something that is good practice.

on a side not wtf did norcal get banned for?

OKAY GREAT!!!! A hole I had guide me on the install did not hand grease them he just greased them after the instal. So my only option now is A. Pull them back off and re hand grease them and B. Look for the torque standards and make sure they are not over tightened? What is NORCAL e mail, or is he still able to recieve pm's?

Edited by THATGUYCRUZ (see edit history)

correct poly can be noisy and greased often.

the other thing that comes to mind is that the a arm bushings are over tightened , iirc its a strict 35 ft lbs . more than that will not let them travel up and down without killing the bushing and binding up . applying a good amount of grease on them on install as well is something that is good practice.

on a side not wtf did norcal get banned for?

yea i did the install with some help and i greased everything up so i know it was plenty...but then how often would regreasing be recommended?? recently did alignment and everything looked greased properly.....

OKAY GREAT!!!! A hole I had guide me on the install did not hand grease them he just greased them after the instal. So my only option now is A. Pull them back off and re hand grease them and B. Look for the torque standards and make sure they are not over tightened? What is NORCAL e mail, or is he still able to recieve pm's?

im not banned guys the guy who posted this thread is.

The OP got banned?! For what? He just replied 45 mins. ago....

what can i do to rid the squeeking?? feel like its gotten worse now idk maybe in my head though but how can i fix it

I wish I knew!

Use different bushings. Cheap polyurethane bushings will always make noise, eventually; they have to be continually lubricated. The only replacement for polyurethane bushings are the stock (rubber) ones, or extremely expensive Delrin bushings (like the custom ones that Global West makes).

As a workaround, some manufacturers will groove the outside of the bushing and then install a zerk fitting so that you can grease them regularly. This is what Hotchkiss does on their swaybar kits.

Another cheap/quick thing you can do to diagnose where the sound is coming from, is to temporarily remove the little dogbone links from the front swaybar and tie it up out of the way to the frame rail with a zip tie or wire and drive the truck, if you continue hearing the squeaking then the sway bar bushings are not the problem.

FWIW I have used aftermarket swaybars for 70K-miles and they still don't make a peep of noise, so not all polyurethane bushings 'complain'; but on past project cars I have had polyurethane bushings make terrible amounts of noise, my fiance's Mustang right now has the problem really bad in the rear sway bar bushings.

Tire-rub at full lock problem - I had that issue too, finally after 75K-miles on my drop the inside edges of both front tires wore a couple little spots completely through the plastic front wheel wells; I just accepted that as part of the lowered-life, if the inner fenders were metal then I would have just beat on those areas with a hammer for more clearance, but I don't know if you can do the same with the plastic fender wells (maybe one could soften those spots with a heat gun and reshape them to give 3/8" more tire clearance???).

Mr. P.

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

Use different bushings. Cheap polyurethane bushings will always make noise, eventually; they have to be continually lubricated. The only replacement for polyurethane bushings are the stock (rubber) ones, or extremely expensive Delrin bushings (like the custom ones that Global West makes).

As a workaround, some manufacturers will groove the outside of the bushing and then install a zerk fitting so that you can grease them regularly. This is what Hotchkiss does on their swaybar kits.

Another cheap/quick thing you can do to diagnose where the sound is coming from, is to temporarily remove the little dogbone links from the front swaybar and tie it up out of the way to the frame rail with a zip tie or wire and drive the truck, if you continue hearing the squeaking then the sway bar bushings are not the problem.

FWIW I have used aftermarket swaybars for 70K-miles and they still don't make a peep of noise, so not all polyurethane bushings 'complain'; but on past project cars I have had polyurethane bushings make terrible amounts of noise, my fiance's Mustang right now has the problem really bad in the rear sway bar bushings.

Tire-rub at full lock problem - I had that issue too, finally after 75K-miles on my drop the inside edges of both front tires wore a couple little spots completely through the plastic front wheel wells; I just accepted that as part of the lowered-life, if the inner fenders were metal then I would have just beat on those areas with a hammer for more clearance, but I don't know if you can do the same with the plastic fender wells (maybe one could soften those spots with a heat gun and reshape them to give 3/8" more tire clearance???).

Mr. P.

Another way to "cheat" the polyurethane noise with sway bar bushings is wrap the bar with 3-4 wraps of teflon tape.