Potential Ss Part Out

01chevyz71

I am not trying to part it out here so please do not flag this. I am just curious as to how much you guys think i could get for my SS if i part it out. I've been trying to sell it for a while with no interest whatsoever. Its a loaded 2004 with factory chrome rims and brand new tires. It has a clean title and there is nothing wrong with it. 167k miles. I'm at $8800 OBO right so pretty much what i want to know is if i could part it out and get somewhere close to that. I know that the drivetrain is worth quite a bit along with the cladding, wheels and interior.

I am not trying to part it out here so please do not flag this. I am just curious as to how much you guys think i could get for my SS if i part it out. I've been trying to sell it for a while with no interest whatsoever. Its a loaded 2004 with factory chrome rims and brand new tires. It has a clean title and there is nothing wrong with it. 167k miles. I'm at $8800 OBO right so pretty much what i want to know is if i could part it out and get somewhere close to that. I know that the drivetrain is worth quite a bit along with the cladding, wheels and interior.

Where you located? If you decide to part it out let me know, I want some stuff. You'd probably get the same amout of money either way, except one way it would be a big chunk and the other a little at a time. But ss conversion stuff sells like hotcakes.

Edited by 2001silverado364 (see edit history)

Whats the reason 4 sale or potential part-out? What color is it?

The drivetrain I wouldnt say is worth that much considering the milage and the luck with these certain transmissions and front diff., but would be good for someone to possibly beef or keep around as a backup. Also, werent the factory rims alloys on 03-04s? Or was chrome an option in 04? AFAIK, chrome wasnt on these trucks until 05...

I know I could use a driver side rearview mirror, as long as it has the puddle light. Good luck with your choice.

edit - any pictures?

Edited by 03mass (see edit history)

Let me tell you from experience, parting it out if there is no other option is not that bad in terms of recovering some money...... BUT, it can be a major pain in the ass. It's time consuming, a lot of work to remove/list/haggle/ship/etc, and overall possible not that pleasant of an experience. I'm not saying DON'T DO IT. I'm just saying, think it over really well. You might be better off looking for other avenues to sell, doing a better job of marketing it, looking at other forms of payment for it like a trade for another vehicle/guns/etc. Just a thought.

I'm not saying DON'T DO IT.

Then I'll say it... DON'T DO IT!

If you need the cash that bad, then I feel for ya, I really do.

But posting on a SSS enthusiast site saying your thinking of cutting yours up pisses me off.

There's many people out there like myself restoring old cars and trucks, and to scrap one of the soon to be, most collectable trucks, since the 454ss makes people like me wanna cringe.

If you have the room to part it out, then you have the room to store it. It'll never be worth less then it is right now and it'll just go up in value.

My 2 cents.

Then I'll say it... DON'T DO IT!

If you need the cash that bad, then I feel for ya, I really do.

But posting on a SSS enthusiast site saying your thinking of cutting yours up pisses me off.

There's many people out there like myself restoring old cars and trucks, and to scrap one of the soon to be, most collectable trucks, since the 454ss makes people like me wanna cringe.

If you have the room to part it out, then you have the room to store it. It'll never be worth less then it is right now and it'll just go up in value.

My 2 cents.

^^^ This. iamwithstupid.gif

IMO the difference between this being a fair idea and a great idea will depend completely on where you live; you will have no problem selling some parts, like the engine, mirrors, or even the wheels - but if you live more than 90-mins from a major metropolitan area then parts like the transmission will only fetch you 1/2 their worth, and other major parts (like the seats, or rear axle, hood for example) may not sell at all. Watching Mike (gasemall) part-out his truck I was surprised just how much it became literally a second job in the amount of time dedicated to phone calls, communication, meeting people, and boxing things as well as the expense in shipping. You will spend A LOT of time also researching your pricing, as much time as stripping the truck itself. If you decide to do this, get yourself a FedEx account, because you may be doing so much business with them they will give you a further discount! IMO I would estimate the retail parts value of the truck to be about $8500-9500, so you have hit that price tipping-point where parting-out the truck is financially viable however you would be doing many hours of work for free in the process. If you live in a major metro area and can find a buyer for the frame, cab itself, windows (maybe tell body shops that you are parting out the truck and see if they need any for collision repair??) then you might be able to get another $1500 more than that. In Gasemall's case the entire rolling frame, cab, front seats, hood, some interior panels, and tonneau cover had to be thrown away to the crusher, he could not find buyers after a year of advertising.

Mr. P.

IIRC didn't he buy r8r4life's SS? Is that the one he parted it out?

Mike does currently own the SSS originally purchased by r8rs4life, the truck that was parted-out was the previous SSS he purchased from moog5050 which two weeks later caught fire with his wife and two young daughters inside; his wife said that she barely had enough time to steer the truck out of traffic and get their two girls unbuckled from their car seats before the dash, headliner, and driver's seat were completely involved - I took pics, the truck was a total loss. It was the remains of Moog5050's truck that was parted-out to recover from the loss.

The sad thing is that the exact same situation which caused the vehicle fire in Moog5050's truck (large amplifier power lead shorting-out) was also found in r8r4life's truck, the 4-AWG wire to the amp was draped on the exhaust collector and needed to be replaced and re-run along the OUTSIDE of the frame rail. :crazy:

Mr. P.

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)