Needing To Gain A Few More Mpg

jddmj

Tune for 93 and using 93 should give u better economy, id check out any of the major guys, blackbear, wheatley, etc... I use wheatley cause hes local and does great work but honestly youll get what u want from any of the major guys.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tune is more than likely the next thing on the list. Just got to get some money set back for it. Im still going to school while working full time. So I had to buy some stuff for school that I could have been using for the truck lol

I have a tune from a local speed shop and I picked up about 2-3 mpg's I always pump chevron 91. Now I'm going with black bear to see if I can get a lil more power out of the truck and hopefully another mpg. Lol you should really try and get another dd. Over time you'll save so much money. I drive about 90 miles a day to and from work there is no way I would ever use my SS for a dd the gas would kill me. I had a 92 civic hatchback and it would cost me about 50 dollars a week. Now I have a 01 s10 and it's about 70 dollars a week but I also drive around town. The Honda was better on gas but the s10 has ac. You gotta pay to play if you wanna own a truck. Good luck hopefully you get your mpg's.

I have a set of 18 inch American Racing ST Torque Thrust Rims I might be willing to part with cheap. I need to helpy my madre out as her health is going down south, and quick. I thought of selling the SS but she doesnt want me to, but in reality its the only answer to take care of her. But if your interested in the rims we can chat about it. Might squeeze a couple mpgs outta your puppy and help me take care of my moms meds bills. Carl and I had something going, but due to the quick rapid decline and death of my grandmother I had my brain in 100 different directions. Let me know me know bud and shoot me a PM. Would love to help another brother out on the site, vice versa. :chevrolet:

gears. youd be surprised how much more efficient these motors are at higher rpm. i get the best mileage around 3200-3400 rpm. put some 4.10s in it and get it tuned.

You sure about that? You didn't happen to mean 2200-2400 did you? question.gif I have 4.10s and I'd have to be doing 85 or so to be in that range. And I will say my mileage at those speeds sucks. Now 65 or about 2200, I get pretty good.

Edited by 2001silverado364 (see edit history)

You sure about that? You didn't happen to mean 2200-2400 did you? question.gif I have 4.10s and I'd have to be doing 85 or so to be in that range. And I will say my mileage at those speeds sucks. Now 65 or about 2200, I get pretty good.

you have 4.10s and large tires. my overall tire diameter is 29.5 inches. so i turn more rpm when cruising at 65-70mph

A few things you can do:

- tune tailored towards fuel economy. Most people tailor their tunes to improve WOT performance using 93 octane. From what you're saying, it sounds like you will want to run 87 octane. I wouldn't expect much of an improvement in WOT performance with a tune (87 octane) and probably marginal gains in part throttle power/fuel economy.

If a tuner spends the time on the dyno and focuses on fuel economy they can literally (cell by cell) optimize the torque the engine makes in a given part of the map by adding or removing a degree or two of timing (if the engine needs it) and improve economy. Absolutely can! Problem is, that takes a ton of time and the tune is going to vary with different engine/truck combinations (gearing, tire size, engine size, mods, etc). In other words, a tune that is optimized for you might have some knock on another person's truck even though that persons truck is pretty close in comparison to yours. For that "little bit" of power or efficiency no one is going to do it. It doesn't pay. Point is that you can improve your economy with a tune that is optimized. There are also other things a tuner can do like a "lean cruise" strategy where during an extended cruise condition, the vehicle will go into open loop and the computer will lean out the air/fuel (typically up into the mid 15:1 range instead of 14.7:1).

For the average tune you will buy, I'm sure you can expect maybe a mpg improvement, maybe a little more. Every little bit helps I guess.

Torque is going to get that heavy truck moving. The easier you can do that, the less you have to push down on the gas and the better economy you will get. Gearing, engine size, efficiency of combo (bolts like headers, cai, electric fans to reduce drag, etc) and obviously tune will affect this. I had a 2000 silverado ext cab 2wd with the 16" aluminum wheels, stock size tires, 3.73 gear and 5.3 engine. If I drove it easy (no jack rabbit starts mainly) I would get 17 mpg in the city! That was light stop and go traffic with speeds averaging around 40 mph. If it was heavy stop and go, I would drop down into the 15.5 - 16 mpg range. On the hwy, I would see 20mpg driving 70-80mph. I had drove it a little slower (60-75mph) and averaged 20.9mpg. I'm sure it could get 21-22 if I drove 50-55mph. Another reference my buddy with the same basic truck except it had a 3.42 gear got 22-23 driving 55-60mph. Note this is driving in light traffic conditions (out in country). If you're constantly speeding up or slowing down because of the traffic that number would drop a bit.

For you, probably a tune, a lighter tire/wheel combo, tune up, and all of your bolts ons. A "beater" might be right up your alley if fuel is killing you that bad. Just saying...A 4.8 will (in theory) use less fuel then other engine combos, but if it takes more gas pedal to get it moving at the rate you desire then you might end up using more fuel then say a 5.3 or a truck with a steeper gear. Maybe you should do a blower like a TVS1900 mod. If you can drive it easy, you will usually see that it takes less pedal to get the truck moving now (plus the blower can increase the engine efficiency) and you will save fuel. Problem is, only about .002% of the population can drive it that way crackup.gif Good luck and sorry for the novel blahblah.gif

Edited by slowfive0 (see edit history)