Diy Oil Changes..........

stg313

40 members have voted

1. 1. Should I change my own oil or have the dealer do it?

• Do it yourself!
    • Take it to the dealership!
  2. 2. Do incomplete service records diminish value when I go to sell my truck?

This may seem like a dumb question, but I am curious...... my new truck is due for its first oil change and I dont know if its worth taking it to the dealership. Obviously I know how to change my own oil, but is there any reason to take it to the dealer anyway since the truck is brand new? Will it affect resale value to not have complete service records to prove that I actually change my oil?

This may seem like a dumb question, but I am curious...... my new truck is due for its first oil change and I dont know if its worth taking it to the dealership. Obviously I know how to change my own oil, but is there any reason to take it to the dealer anyway since the truck is brand new? Will it affect resale value to not have complete service records to prove that I actually change my oil?

If you want to spend double you will at the Stealership. It wont affect what the truck is worth. If servicing your own car did affect the value of any car everyones cars woule be worth nothing. When I look to buy a car or truck, I dont care if they have reciepts from the delear or their own, As long as it is in good shape, the fluids were recently changed im happy. I look for myself to make sure the fluids were changed, or I have them changed before I buy it. Honestly, just because its the delaer doenst mean its going to be done right. When you do it you will make sure its done right.

Keep receipts of your oil & filter purchases, and write the ODO mileage on the receipt; that way you have a good record of date & mileage service was done.

Mr. P.

I made a excel sheet with all the info list above by Mr. P. And secondly, I have a rule. Never pay someone else to do something you can do yourself.

Edited by SS truck (see edit history)

I used to take my truck to places to get it done simply because it just wasn't worth my time and the mess of dong it your self but after having a couple problems with different places I do it my self now so I know it gets done right. Problems I have had on multiple occasions was greasy boot prints on my carpet and greasy finger prints on hood doors interrior etc... and oil dripping from filter cause they didn't tighten it good enough so I just had enough plus I wanted to start using amzoil oil.

I used to take my truck to places to get it done simply because it just wasn't worth my time and the mess of dong it your self but after having a couple problems with different places I do it my self now so I know it gets done right. Problems I have had on multiple occasions was greasy boot prints on my carpet and greasy finger prints on hood doors interrior etc... and oil dripping from filter cause they didn't tighten it good enough so I just had enough plus I wanted to start using amzoil oil.

Good choice!

After changing my oil one day I had to use a vice grip on my drainplug, never again will I have anyone else change my oil.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

For the first 3 years I took both the Silverado and Monte Carlo to my dealer because they gave me free LOF's for purchasing from them, then I did them myself. A little while back I got cards for both the truck and Monte Carlo for 8 free LOF's each so I've been taking them back to them, cant beat free. Of course I had to provide my own Mobile 1 but thats OK by me.

i admit i take mine to the dealer for services. i supply the M1 and $39 and they do the rest. reason being that it is more convenient for me. not having to crawl around on a gravel/dirt parking area, and getting older it's getting tough on my knees and shoulder joints. i'm in and out in less than 1 hr, and i get free coffee and doughnuts while i wait.... :thumbs: