Trans Or Transfer Case? Or Both?! Any Help?

Here's what happened and what I know...

I was leaving my driveway from a stop and under normal throttle I heard and felt a large slam followed by a hellacious noise. I have no reverse (at least not enough to backup slightly uphill) and have not tried drive (but I'm guessing that's gone also). The video shows what gear I'm in and you can hear the audio in real time if that helps.

- Trans fluid is an okay level and slightly dark... not very dark, but slight. Doesn't smell new, but doesn't smell "rancid" as I've heard it called when bad.

- I have 1/8" play in the rear of my front drive shaft and an 1/8" play in the front of my rear drive shaft (play in all directions)

- I have about 30 degrees of free rotation in both driveshafts when in park (from 12 to 1 on the face of a clock, maybe 12 to 2)

04 Silvy SS AWD 155,xxx miles.

Here's a link to the video with audio:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIj0IFVX45k

Thanks for any help... my wallet does not thank you though.

That's the sound that the our TBSS made when I broke the front differential.... One of the CV shafts stripped out which is a very common problem on TBSS's but as far as the SSS I'm not sure. Before you condem your transmission have a friend start the truck and switch to drive or reverse and check underneath for a spinning front drive shaft to indicate a bad differentail. That's just been my experience. It could also be a bad Tcase or trans. Good luck getting it fixed.

Edited by Matt* (see edit history)

Ugh. I was hoping not to hear tranny. There's no movement on front or rear drive lines, Matt... I would pray for a diff right about now :0)

Thanks for the info guys. I did find an '00 Denali Trans and Transfer for $400 (I think it's a direct fit)... I have a call in to them now. Hopefully they still have it.

Is there any way to test a trans or Tcase before it's in a vehicle?

• 3 weeks later...