Need Advice/Input Please

03SSrado

Hey guys,

Truck just started doin some funny stuff. it has done it maybe twice since i've owned it over the past two years but now its real frequent and intensified so i have it parked now. but after hitting any imperfection in the road, i mean just the slightest thing upsets something in the suspension or steering and both front wheels rattle all over the place. it's pretty radical, it will not do it at low speeds so i limped it back home and parked it. but any bump, rough patch and stuff just makes the front in chatter all over the road , cannot throttle out of it or brake.. basically have to come to a complete stop and start rolling again.

if anyone has a diagnosis PLEASE help me out. want her back on the road ASAP.

thanks in advance

thanks for the input guys! everything seems as good as can be under the truck except the millimeters of movement in idler and pitman. i guess i'll have to grow a pair and hope thats the deal. if not i'll be reposting i guess, but it seems as if everyone is pretty confident that that could possibly be it.

Your front end is shot. I had mine completely refreshed when I got my truck.

:withstupid:

It's not the shocks. The driving behavior you describe is a shot front-end, I would suspect both the ball joints and entire steering linkage. If the truck has over 100K-miles on the original suspension & steering especially on a lowered truck I would budget for a front-end R&R as soon as possible. If you have to do this in steps then I would address the control arms first (ball joints and bushings), then steering (tie rods, steering arms). The random behavior you describe is very dangerous in that the vehicle could suddenly steer itself in an unintended direction, I would not drive it until fixed. If the front tires have any appreciable mileage on them then they might need replacement as well *after* all the front-end repair. While you are at it, I would also replace the front half-shafts as well, they are $70 each. Lowering the truck exaggerates tie-rod, lower ball joint, and half-shaft wear, it's part of the costs of having a truck with drop spindles.

Mr. P.