Can You Really Pull The Front Driveshaft To Dyno?

On a nv149 SSS transfer case,can you pull the front drive shaft out to do a RWD dyno pull without damaging anything???

I have seen MANY people saying YES and NO and most of the trucks I have found that did pull the front shaft out were in the 300-330rwhp range,couldnt find anything over 335rwhp....

I KNOW that it cannot be driven without the front shaft without causing major damage....

This is an almost 600 fly wheel hp engine (570 before being broken in and only pulled to 6500 on LME's Superflow dyno),408 w/ l92 heads,2005 Escalade EXT with a built 4l65/3200 PI multi disk with a nv 149 SSS transfer case swapped in....

Nearest AWD dyno is 3 hours away so almost out of the question.My tuner has his own dyno w/ eddy brake and is 10 minutes from the house so if I can pull the front shaft,thats def the way id want to go!!!

Anyone here with a higher hp truck pull the front shaft and dyno without any damage?

Hoping I can see what she'll do NA with the new Holley LS3 intake(bad mofo BTW!!!) before I put on the 2 stage Cold Fusion Nitrous plate w/ NOS Super Powershot solenoids for the 1st stage and NOS Super Pro solenoids for the 2nd stage.Planning on a 250hp-300hp total hit w/ progressive controller,100hp 1st stage and 150hp 2nd.Will be using Nitrous Outlets stand alone tank/pump combo with 116.

Thanks!!!!

Edited by broke1 (see edit history)

As these guys said, yes you can BUT there is a certain way of doing it or else you WILL damage the case

BTW....need to re evaluate your search skills. This subject has been brought up more than what muffler or air intake to use.

I have searched and searched and for every 1 that says it can be done,there are 2 that say it cant be done w/o damage!!!

I learned a LONG,LONG time ago that you have to take what you read on the internet with a grain of salt and if there are conflicting anwsers for both sides,JUST ASK!!!!

And what is this special way to do it w/o damage you guys are speaking of???

LIKE I SAID,SEARCHED AND SEARCHED AND THERE ARE WAY TO MANY CONFLICTING ANWSERS!!!!

Hence why I asked and explained that there were to many conflicting anwsers to make a decision either way!!!

Please let me know,

Thanks!!

All I could tell you is these guys are very respectable members and if they say it can be done I would believe them.Now as to how its done I really can't say because I never did it myself but if you are getting conflicting answers maybe you shouldn't do it,personally I would find an awful synopsis and I am not saying I don't believe these guys I am just no comfortable having to pull the shaft.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

IIRC out of all the tcs that have failed, non of them have been due to dynoing on a 2wd dyno. A few have failed because the owners wanted to to burn outs, one because the owner wanted to improve fuel mileage (fat good that did) and two have been freak mechanical break Downs.

sent from my thunderbolt

why dont you guys go into a lil more detail that have done it for this guy. i know it can and has been done many times but havent done it my self . all i know is the biggies are dont use the brake at ALL unless your going into and out of park/drive let the dyno slow the truck down after pull and pull the drive shaft once you get on the dyno . maybe somebody will go into a lil more detail for you thou.

ive wanted to dyno mine as well and have been on the hunt for an AWD dyno with a large enough wheel base to fit one of our trucks but...always been skeptical about pulling the front shaft. but if if can be done and someone knows all the right steps to do it safely without causing any damage to the truck, im all ears.

Just do not leave the truck in gear while the rear wheels are stopped. Always put it in neutral as its about to come to a complete stop.

sent from my thunderbolt

Thank you!!

Alot easier to type that than all the others replying,"it can be done,search"!!!!

Getting to ls1tech around here with answers like that and thats no good for anyone!!!!

I really think this should be a "sticky" or at least in a FAQ list!!

Thanks again!!!!

Thank you!!

Alot easier to type that than all the others replying,"it can be done,search"!!!!

Getting to ls1tech around here with answers like that and thats no good for anyone!!!!

I really think this should be a "sticky" or at least in a FAQ list!!

Thanks again!!!!

whats with all the !! ?? !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1