Head Options

So i have my L92 heads and intake almost ready for the swap, BUT im taking my heads to a machine shop to have them cleaned up, should I port and polish? mill? or just have them cleaned?

Opinions, and why?

i don't really want to change my cam but i will if need be.

thanks in advance guys cheers.gif

Having the L92's ported and polished from what I have read will gain some but they flow great out of the box untouched from what I've heard and experienced with my L92 Lq9 in my 69 Chevy. Runs awesome!So I would say if your on a budget just have them cleaned up but if moneys not an issue go for the port and polish.

Edited by Matt* (see edit history)

Having a machine shop port and polish the heads isn't always the way to go. You can lose power with a bad or hacked port job. Now cleaning up the castings and gasket matching along with knocking down the sharp edge of the combustion chamber could be a very cheap and easy few hp and not harm anything. Unlike a full on port job that will remove alot more material, and require that the ports flow very close to eachother using a flowbench. Most machine shops don't have one so they are just doing what they think is close. Like mentioned above is the fact that these heads flow very good from the factory. If a clean up mill is needed to level them out, or to take out any imperfections do it. If you do mill the heads make sure to check your pushrod length after you install the heads.

My P1 procharger with a 3.4 pulley was making 12-13#'s of boost through stock heads. I swapped the topend PRC 2.5 l92 heads(they are P&P), 90mm tb, and ly6 intake, and now make about 6-7 with the same pulley. Point being those heads will flow way more air than your going to be able to put through without a P&P, so save your money and cam it!!!:pepsicheer:

Hope this helps a little bit.

Yea I think ill just have em cleaned, now for cam decisions, keep my cam, or go bigger? I think this cam would be a good match for them but I'm sure there is more I can get out of it. Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

Edited by The_aSSet (see edit history)

OK so lemme get this straight - you are thinking of running L92 heads with the stock LQ9 cam? :confused: If so I would not do that, I would put your budget into a cam that specifically works with the flow characteristics of the L92 castings.

Mr. P. :)

No no no, my cam is listed in my sig 224/230 .581/.591 114 lsa

(think I got that right, cant see my sig on my phone)

Just wondering if there was another cam that would be better, I chose this cam for the intent of putting theae heads on but im just seeing if there are any better options cam wise

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

that cam, depending on the lobes, is similar to mine. My cam is Livernois stage I. Unless you are planning on going to more displacement I would not invest in a P&P. I would put that money into your fuel system.

yea i picked out my cam thinking of doing the l92 heads and then stumbled upon your build thread a few weeks later and was happy that i came up with a good cam choice for them cause it looked liked u did a ton of research

yea i need to do somethin with the fuel system, but i think for right now itll be okay, what i really want to do next is tranny and suspension. but both of those are lots of green.