Got my under-seat "box"

dcairns

The carboard box looked like UPS used it for a punching bag, but fortunatly the underseat box itself is made of reasonably tough plastic :)

It comes with a bag full of brackets, screws and a lock. I will probably skip the lock. It looks pretty nice. I should be able to keep all my loose junk in there :D

underseat2.JPG

underseat3.JPG

underseat4.JPG

The carboard box looked like UPS used it for a punching bag, but fortunatly the underseat box itself is made of reasonably tough plastic :)

It comes with a bag full of brackets, screws and a lock. I will probably skip the lock. It looks pretty nice. I should be able to keep all my loose junk in there :D

underseat2.JPG

underseat3.JPG

underseat4.JPG

:cool: Looks good. Can you pull it out and get to stuff without putting the seat up?

The box is not designed to slide in and out, but be accessed by lifting the seat. Rasing and lowering the seat is not a big deal. In the pictures, I have just popped the box in place. There are a bunch of brackets that hold it firmly in place, including a locking mechanism that keeps the seat from being lifted when locked. The lock goes on the passenger side :confused: . The brackets attach to the back seat's diagonal braces that you can see. It seems to stay put just fine without all the brackets, but I am sure it is good to bolt it down. You wouldn't want that thing flying around in the cab in an accident. :eek:

The box is not designed to slide in and out, but be accessed by lifting the seat. Rasing and lowering the seat is not a big deal. In the pictures, I have just popped the box in place. There are a bunch of brackets that hold it firmly in place, including a locking mechanism that keeps the seat from being lifted when locked. The lock goes on the passenger side :confused: . The brackets attach to the back seat's diagonal braces that you can see. It seems to stay put just fine without all the brackets, but I am sure it is good to bolt it down. You wouldn't want that thing flying around in the cab in an accident. :eek:

Looks pretty cool. How hard is it to get to the jack and the jack tools with that in place?

:cheers::flag::thumbs:

Looks pretty cool. How hard is it to get to the jack and the jack tools with that in place?

:cheers:  :flag:  :thumbs:

I dunno, I hope I don't get to find out for a long time :P . Seriously, it does not look like it will get in the way. They did have a useful warning about making sure you keep the key with your ingnition key. It would be a real bummer to get a flat and be locked out from the jack :eek: .

I installed the brackets tonight, and one of them (kind of an extra safety hook on the drivers side) does not seem to be right and I still need to fiddle with the locking mechanism if I want it to work. I am not too concerned about being able to lock it, though. I just wanted a place to throw all the junk and not have is sliding around and making the truck look messy.

It is made of a flexible and slippery kind of plastic. Sort of like a plastic bucket is made of. To paint it you would have to sand it to give the paint something to hang on to. I think the same would apply to spray glue for carpet.

I actually don't think you would need to, it all but disapears once the seat is down.

:wtf: I ordered this also for my Black SS. I cant believe that is all it is. I guess I was hoping for something that was a little more secure. Oh well looks good though. :chevy:

I was a little surprised it was just a C shaped chunk of plastic rather than a box, but once installed, it makes sense. You have the carpet for the floor, the seat for the lid and no need for a back, which would cut off access to the jack. It fits rather securely without adding the brackets, and once the brackets are installed, it isn't going anywhere. The plastic is double walled an thick, so it is sturdy, even before it is installed. I think you will like it. But if you want to paint or carpet it, like Bolen, I think it will be difficult.

I still need to get back out and see if I can get the lock setup right. Not a big deal but if you are gonna do something, may as well do it right :P

Archived