Polishing Steel?

im wanting to polish my 2.8 pulley thats on my radix. i thought it was aluminum but its not. my question is what it would look like if i stripped off the paint, sanded, and polished it with it being steel? has anyone done it? how did it turn out? pics? thanks for any info guys

I have polished steel. It isn't too hard to do with the right stuff. I don't know if I have any pics of any of it since it was about 6yrs ago. I will try to get some time to polish some up for you. It is a must to top coat steel after polishing since it will begin to rust very quick.

Here is a stock alt pulley that I shined up real quick. I sanded it down (If I were doing it for show I would have sanded it with a finer grit) Pulled out my polishing wheels and rouge and gave it a quick polish. It took me about 35min to do this, and this was without my good polishing equipment. I then threw some crappy clear on it just to see the difference in gloss. The clear did knock it down a little.

I put it up to a polished stainless steel heat shield I made to show the difference in finishes. Not as mirrored as the stainless, but still has a good mirror in person.

post-17939-099077600 1320036619_thumb.jpg

post-17939-026004400 1320036639_thumb.jpg

post-17939-031000700 1320036653_thumb.jpg

If I were to keep this on my truck i'd have it powdercoated clear. It will last alot longer than a auto or spray can clear, and it will adhere to the polished surface better. But if that is not an option, use a clear adhesion promotor, then use a crystal clear or dupli-color auto clear for it.