Need Help Quick

CJ_978

the other morning my truck wouldn't start, due to the battery being dead, so i jumped it, and ok it was fine, the next day same thing truck wouldn't start, battery charger wouldn't start it, or jumper cables... so i went out and bought a new battery.. put it in, and ok it started.. go to start it this morning and nothing!, tried jumping it, and still nothing!! something is drawing the battery and i don't know what it is.. i need help what can it be?!?!banghead.gif

nope nothing at all, i bought it about a month ago and started right up every morning, and now the past couple days it wont start in the morning, when i put the battery in, and started, drove it around here and there all day, and it didnt have a problem starting up. but this morning i go to start it, and nothing

Even if you had a draw the battery would still jump. Does it click, crank, anything?

nope no clicking or anything, when i connected the cables to the battery, they were sparking and that told me that it was drawing from somewhere

nope no clicking or anything, when i connected the cables to the battery, they were sparking and that told me that it was drawing from somewhere

What you are describing is a normal occurence. You could have a bad starter, relay, ignition switch, etc....

What you are describing is a normal occurence. You could have a bad starter, relay, ignition switch, etc....

now how would i go out about checking it, i dont wanna start replacing stuff that dont need to be replaced ya know?? i thought it might be the starter, but i didnt hear any clicking or anything

try arcing the starer with a screwdriver, or any piece of metal. im pretty sure you can remove your starter pretty easly and take it to a napa or auto zone and see if its bad. fairley inexspensive, maybe 100-150. hope this helps. GL

First I would feel the starter relay when someone is cranking it; see if you can feel it click. if it does not, sway with another relay in box. If it still does not, then you need to trace power and ground feeds backwards from starter relay circuit. If it does click, then move forward from relay circuit towards starter.

If your trying to test for something draining your battery, disconnect your negative terminal, use a test light to establish the connection, then go through your fuse box 1 by 1 and see when the light goes out.:pepsicheer:

I do however agree that if it won't jump then it's probably something like a ground or a starter related issue.

Edited by hottelsss (see edit history)

Sounds like you have a pretty good battery draw on your hands, if the better goes completely dead then even a jump box will have a hard time starting it. Best way to test for a draw on newer gm vehicles is to use a battery blade and a volt/ohm meter. Hook the battery blade in to the negative side between the cable and the battery, hook your dvom meter on each side of the battery blade, make sure everything is turned off! Un-hook the battery blade which will run the negative side directly through the dvom, give it at least 30-45 minutes for modules like the bcm to shut down, make sure no one opens any doors during this test since that will wake the bcm back up. You want no more than 0.020 milli amps even 0.030 is ok, pull fuses unitl you can get it down to this amount and then youll know what system the issue is in. If you need more help pm me and ill get you my number!

Edited by turbo370clone (see edit history)

hey guys, we figured out the problem, i noticed that my cd player was messed up when i put cd's in it, it said no disc, so i go to eject it and it said there is no disc in there, which i thought was weird, but the radio is constantly trying to change disc when the car is on, and when its off and open the door, it stops.. but when u close it, it starts to draw power from the battery, so i took the fuse for the radio out, charged the battery, and the truck started right up. so now im out of a radio because of that problem, because the discs are trying to read constantly, but now i have no way of getting the discs out. without pulling out the radio and seeing if i can take the radio apart. thanks to everyone for helping out!