Speedometer Issues

monster1213

Hey guys, just went to the strip for one last time this season. I made six good runs no problems, and on my seventh and final run my CEL came on halfway down the track. Had this happen earlier this year and it was just an O2 sensor. I thought it might be the same thing, but when I left the track and headed down the road (prolly going 65), I noticed my speedometer only read 35 mph! It stayed below 35 on the speedo and when I was actually running less than 30, it read 0 mph. I know about all the stepper motor issues, is this my problem and do you think it was related to running at the track? Thanks guys.

When my stepper motors were sounding like the first computer ever built I did a lot of research on the problem and many people on other forums and what not had the same issue you have and they all said it was that they needed new stepper motors or gauge clusters all together. But the only thing odd is the fact that your CEL came on, I haven't seen that come up when stepper motors start to go. I say get the code read and we'll have a better direction on what the problem is.

I don't think its related to the track. Unfortunately it was its time to go. The other gauge will eventually follow and fail. If you don't feel comfortable fixing it you can send it to me and if you want I can do an LED conversion as well. Let me know.

-Steve

http://www.gmgaugeguy.com/

damn. and from what i'm reading, chevy won't do anything for me since mine is an 03 with 81k miles? that's garbage.

Ya it has to be under 7 years old with under 70k miles. You are probably better off since GM still uses the crappy parts they used back in 03.

damn. and from what i'm reading, chevy won't do anything for me since mine is an 03 with 81k miles? that's garbage.

Yeah Chevy won't do anything. My truck is an 04 with 54xxx miles and they just threw me aside. I bought brand new ones from the stealership though for $240, not too bad I guess.