Helper Leaf Removal

LilEz02

hello. i have a 2/4 drop on my long bed truck 2wd. spindels, shackle and hangers with street performance shocks all around. i got a roll pan and soft tonnue on back with no spare or spare hanger.

it seems to still sit at least a inch higher in rear still. im taking out the rear end soon to do a gear swap and locker with a TA cover and paint, so my question is can i, and should i remove the helper leaf in the rear. i never tow anything and never have anything in the bed that heavy maybe 100 lbs max. i believe with the helper i have a total of 3 leafs. would taking this out get me down around a inch? would it ride any differnt? im also working on some power upgrades for next summer and plan to take it to the track as much as possible. would it benefit track performance at all? traction? any info would help alot. thanks in advance guys.

I removed mine to gain that extra 1" after my 4" drop hangers and shackles were installed to get 5" out back. Yes it did get me that extra 1" but it was too low for my application, it rubbed on tire edges. I drove it around for a few miles testing, didn't really notice a difference in ride quality with it in or out. I also have Belltech St. Perf. shocks in all 4 corners. Rides great. I would only think by removing the helper it would lessen your payload and towing capabilities. But as you say you don't tow so I say go for it. Doesn't cost you anything and you can always add it back in if your ride quality is effected. Keep us posted....

Edited by Bad Ass Silvy (see edit history)

I removed mine to gain that extra 1" after my 4" drop hangers and shackles were installed. Yes it did get me that extra 1" but it was too low for my application, it rubbed. I drove it around for a few miles testing, didn't really notice a difference in ride quality with it in or out.

what was you wheel/tire size combo? was it rubbing the bed at the top?

I'm on 22x9.5" rims with 305/40 Nittos. It was rubbing on the fender well edge at edge of tire. This pic is with helper in on a 4" rear drop. You can kinda see the line on the tire where it rubbed.

backmeasure.jpg

Edited by Bad Ass Silvy (see edit history)